• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outworlds With Inside Lips? (Fluon Trouble)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 8 2017 - 2:03 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I've been having no luck for the past 3 months with containing my ants in their outworlds by using fluon on a vertical surface, so I think I'm going to need an upside-down lip surface to apply it to, like this:

qZNzQov.png?1

It seems that containers with upside-down lips to apply your deterent on are very scarce - AntsCanada has them (picture above) but I don't want to pay 100 dollars for each outworld. AntStore has super nice looking add-on lips and outworlds, but they won't ship outside of Europe (sometimes even out of Germany), damn that.  :/

I'm having so much trouble with feeding my ants lately as my colonies are growing in their tubes. I get escapees almost every time I open their tubes to feed them and it's a real problem. They are walking over fluon vertically like it's nothing (no matter how I apply it or what kind of surface I apply it to, glass or plastic) and it's getting to be a real setback, especially as of the last day ever since I came back from vacation and my colonies are 5 times bigger and getting nearly impossible to feed without their outworlds.

I feel like the other barriers (Olive oil, vaseline, talcum powder, etc.) will do just as bad since fluon is considered the top barrier, but I'll try them out if I get the chance. I might have some of that stuff lying around the house.

So does anyone know of or suggest any containers/outworlds with an inside lip excluding the ones from AntsCanada and Antstore? Or any other suggestions/help with my barrier troubles? Thanks!

#2 Offline Bryce - Posted August 8 2017 - 2:29 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
If you live in a very humid place over 80% fluon won't work. Fluon works for me 100% of the time. If they are getting across it no lip in the world will stop them. Try a different fluon.

Edited by Bryce, August 8 2017 - 3:31 PM.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 9 2017 - 4:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I find the trick to taking care of a huge colony in a relatively small formicarium or out world is removable lips/ledges. First, like you suggested, they work the best for keeping ants from escaping, but after a while they will eventually get past it, as they ware it down, or it gets old and dusty or ruined from moisture in the air. This is why I keep a mesh lid on top of the lip/ledge--once they do get past the Fluon, they don't escape.

Now the removable part comes in. Since they have all gotten past the Fluon-covered lip/ledge, it's obviously going to be impossible to pull off the mesh lid and apply new Fluon. To solve this problem, I get a new lip/ledge ready with freshly applied Fluon, and quickly swap it out. I do this in a Fluon-covered tub so that the few workers that escape in the process don't go anywhere.

Now that you have your new lip/ledge on there, you can just shake the workers off the mesh lid into the tub, and then pour them all right back into the formicarium and put the mesh lid back on.

i might design some lids and sell them soon when I have the time.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 9 2017 - 9:05 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I find the trick to taking care of a huge colony in a relatively small formicarium or out world is removable lips/ledges. First, like you suggested, they work the best for keeping ants from escaping, but after a while they will eventually get past it, as they ware it down, or it gets old and dusty or ruined from moisture in the air. This is why I keep a mesh lid on top of the lip/ledge--once they do get past the Fluon, they don't escape.

Now the removable part comes in. Since they have all gotten past the Fluon-covered lip/ledge, it's obviously going to be impossible to pull off the mesh lid and apply new Fluon. To solve this problem, I get a new lip/ledge ready with freshly applied Fluon, and quickly swap it out. I do this in a Fluon-covered tub so that the few workers that escape in the process don't go anywhere.

Now that you have your new lip/ledge on there, you can just shake the workers off the mesh lid into the tub, and then pour them all right back into the formicarium and put the mesh lid back on.

Where do you buy your lips?

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 9 2017 - 9:08 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

If you live in a very humid place over 80% fluon won't work. Fluon works for me 100% of the time. If they are getting across it no lip in the world will stop them. Try a different fluon.

My room never gets nearly that high. Like you said, now I'm thinking the fluon I got might be defective or something, becuase I am almost positive I did nothing wrong with applying it and I read all the instructions and what not. I might get it from another place like Bioquip instead of byFormica.

Edited by Nathant2131, August 9 2017 - 9:08 AM.

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 9 2017 - 9:29 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I never did tests on the byFormica fluon, but always wanted to. I've had some troubles with my Tetramorium scaling the glass fish tank I keep them in. They found the silicon railways that I left in, as expected they would. Finally put a temporary lid  (Two giant chunks of acrylic) on with a few (base plate holes) drilled in. Pushing the two slabs together, humidty goes 80%. 0.5" gap, 60%, 1", <40%. 

I'm going to continue to use the fluon even though I've seen them walk over it no problem. I've seen them struggle at other locations which makes me believe I have it either too thick/thin, but also continue with the lid pieces. Between the two, I've seen hardly anyone attempt to climb the silicon paths anymore. Their new big thing is to cover the glass in sand.. 

• Nathant2131 likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 9 2017 - 9:54 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I cut them out of the lids of BoxBox containers.

• sgheaton and Nathant2131 like this

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 9 2017 - 10:08 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Haaaaaaa.......... You're a sword bigger than a Longsword and shorter than a Greatsword. 

BoxBox container lids. Should have known. 

Edit:
Heck, Drews got a punch card with BoxBox Co. where every 8th BoxBox purchase gets you a freebie!

Edited by sgheaton, August 9 2017 - 11:48 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 27 2017 - 12:08 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I cut them out of the lids of BoxBox containers.

Ah ok. And I would assume when you do that you can only fit the cut-out lips on BoxBox containers themselves, right? What do you do for larger outworlds?

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 27 2017 - 1:41 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Please post a photo of the formicarium or foraging area where Fluon is not working to contain your ants. If the container has a lid that you keep on at all times, please show the lid as installed on the container.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users