• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test Tube Stage Questions & Identify Queens

test tubes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 12:38 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I just caught 6 queens after a sprinkle of rain, sadly I couldn't keep all of them because I only had 4 test tubes. So I caught 2 fire ant queens heres 1 https://ibb.co/crMzpv. I caught one unidentified small queen, she is so small I can't even imagine how small the workers and the brood will be, anyways here she is https://ibb.co/m9nHba. Last but not least I caught an unidentified black ant queen, here she is https://ibb.co/it8yGa. As you can see they are all in test tube setups. My question is, how long will it take for them to start laying brood, I put them into my dark drawer, and am just waiting, it has been 2 days now. I assume they are mated because you know, no wings. Also if you could identify the 2 queens it would help a lot.

Edited by AntPhycho, August 6 2017 - 1:17 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Volant - Posted August 6 2017 - 12:49 PM

Volant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNY
The last two links don't work for me

"Oportet nos cognoscere ex nostrorum VI-tripodes amicis."

Founding:

Tetramorium cf. caespitum (x1)

Lasius cf. Neoniger (x1)

Colony:

Solenopsis molesta (x3)

Aphaenogaster cf. picea (x1)

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 12:50 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

ok I will re do the links for you.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 6 2017 - 12:51 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Same here. Also for the unidentified queens you will want to post them in the ant identification subforum. Just make sure to use the pinned template for each queen.

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:02 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Same here. Also for the unidentified queens you will want to post them in the ant identification subforum. Just make sure to use the pinned template for each queen.

Well, I kinda already spent a lot of time writing that post, so next time I will gladly post them in the indentification sub forum, but for right now could you just identify them. I also updated the post with working links.

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline Volant - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:07 PM

Volant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNY

They still don't work

Founding:

Lasius cf. Neoniger (x1)

Colony:

Solenopsis molesta (x3)

#7 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:12 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They still don't work
I will try again.

Ants & Formicaria

#8 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:18 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Works perfectly now.

Ants & Formicaria

#9 Offline OhioAnts - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:19 PM

OhioAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Links work. Just the last two links have the period on the end when it shouldn't! I am leaving my queens for a week before checking in on them. You need to let them sit before they feel comfortable having brood

Current Colonies:

Camponotus Noveboracensis: 4 Colonies

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus: 2 Colonies

Formica Subsericea: 1 Colony

Prenolepis Imparis: 1 Colony

Looking to Buy:

Any Pheidole Colonies

Camponotus Castaneus

Camponutus Subbarbatus

#10 Offline Volant - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:21 PM

Volant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNY

Links work. Just the last two links have the period on the end when it shouldn't! I am leaving my queens for a week before checking in on them. You need to let them sit before they feel comfortable having brood

Didn't see your post lol

Edited by Volant, August 6 2017 - 1:22 PM.

Founding:

Lasius cf. Neoniger (x1)

Colony:

Solenopsis molesta (x3)

#11 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:30 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Will it be a problem that the test tubes are together like will the ants in there not feel comfortable because there are enemy ants right next to them?

Ants & Formicaria

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:31 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Well, I kinda already spent a lot of time writing that post, so next time I will gladly post them in the indentification sub forum, but for right now could you just identify them. I also updated the post with working links.

Well we can't base the Id off much without location or measurements.

#13 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 1:53 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Found in the high desert of California. The small one is a quarter of a centimeter, the black one is 3 quarters of an inch.

Ants & Formicaria

#14 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:22 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Found in the high desert of California. The small one is a quarter of a centimeter, the black one is 3 quarters of an inch.

RIFA are illegal to move or interact with. If they any are truly red fire ants queens, you better freeze them asap.

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 6 2017 - 2:22 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#15 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:28 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Wait , what are RIFA and why would I freeze my queens.

Edited by AntPhycho, August 6 2017 - 2:34 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#16 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:33 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Wait , what are RIFA and why would I freeze my fire ant queens.

RIFA are red imported fire ants. They are an extremely invasive species of ants which are protected by law from interfering with. Please read my post regarding reporting any sighting you find. Fines and potentially jail time are outcomes of interacting with them.

Just make sure they aren't RIFA before you continue. https://en.wikipedia...ported_fire_ant

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 6 2017 - 2:34 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#17 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:37 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
No, these are not RIFA I saw the males and they were not fully black at all.

Ants & Formicaria

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: test tubes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users