• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rogue ant colony moved into my living room? PICS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antnewb2017 - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:01 PM

antnewb2017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello guy.

Fist I apologize if this post offends anyone here since I am trying to control an infestation and you probably love all ants, but wanted some insight regarding what's happening in my situation. 

I bought terro liquid baits and have concerns.

For several hours they were coming inside to eat the terro and then going out through the same spot they came in. Or so I thought since I saw 2 way traffic?

Now the influx of ants from outside stopped, but they decided to form small conglomerates along the path they had across my ceiling. Some of these conglomerates look like just ants taking a break, but a few others look like there is more going on. 

I am worried that I am seeing some white egg like or larvae, I don't know what it is, but it looks like they are piling it up on some of these conglomerates. Also, I have seen ants that are bigger in size, possibly the queen or queens.

I know nothing about their behavior or life cycle, but it looks to me that they moved in the colony inside and carried their eggs with them, which I imagine will hatch at some point and I will have a bigger problem. 

I thought Terro would make them go back to their colony and they would die in their nest. Never imagined the queen and her eggs would be brought back to my living room. 

I have attached some pictures to show you what I am dealing with. I'm not even sure what I'm dealing with to be honest. 

Please let me know if I should be worried that the eggs (if they are eggs) are now inside and what can I do now to get rid of them. 

Thanks for your insight and again sorry if killing ants bothers you, but they have become an infestation. 

Edited by antnewb2017, August 4 2017 - 2:31 PM.

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:06 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Not uncommon behavior for these ants. Terro generally works well but is not an overnight cure. If you are using the terro bait stations the big issue I have seen is that the ants often will drown in the bait.

#3 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:10 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

This belongs in http://www.formicult...eneral-anting/ 

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#4 Offline antnewb2017 - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:16 PM

antnewb2017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Not uncommon behavior for these ants. Terro generally works well but is not an overnight cure. If you are using the terro bait stations the big issue I have seen is that the ants often will drown in the bait.

You are correct that some have drowned. 

They are in a sleeping like state with only a few moving around. I wonder if they are under the influence of the borax and time will be up soon for them. 

What do you think about the eggs or whatever that is, should I worry that I brought in the colony?

Thanks for your input/.

#5 Offline stuhrike - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:51 PM

stuhrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Tell us your general location?  Maybe someone will want to go there and collect them :P

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 3 2017 - 4:17 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Thanks for your insight and again sorry if killing ants bothers you, but they have become an infestation. 

Oh believe us, we would like for you to get rid of this species given their invasiveness :tongue2: (IF you are in their invasive range that is, but you probaby are.)

#7 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 3 2017 - 4:23 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I wonder if you could use a vacuum.  :lol:

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#8 Offline antnewb2017 - Posted August 4 2017 - 9:44 AM

antnewb2017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I wonder if you could use a vacuum.  :lol:

I did!! Worked great!

But only after spraying them with Isopropyl Alcohol. They died instantly, dried up and now are gone. 

• StopSpazzing likes this

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 4 2017 - 10:51 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Er, these are Tapinoma melanocehpalum for anyone reading this thread who wants some reference.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2017 - 6:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

A vacuum is what I use to get rid of temporary ant invasions. It works great. Sucks up their entire trail no matter how large it is, and from what I have seen, it apparently desiccates them in all the dust, because they go in alive and well, and never come back out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users