• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

List of Species That Can Cross a Specified Barrier (Contributed to by Members)

barrier

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 26 2015 - 2:51 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
It is up to Drew. I did not know this was on the handy links page.

#22 Offline Crystals - Posted June 13 2015 - 7:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Here is a way to make escape even harder.  Some of the species I keep have no problem walking vertically over some barriers, but are unable to walk upside down over them.

This is a page protector that I just traced and cut to shape, then taped in.  I did put 2 piece of harder plastic in the front corners in this outworld as that is where the Camponotus liked to chew.

35048139644_5a6e139dd3_b.jpg

35499863090_d24f1033d8_b.jpg

Edited by Crystals, July 16 2017 - 6:54 AM.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 9 2015 - 5:37 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Someone should look at the feet of ants that are poor climbers and compare them to those that can cross barriers more easily.

If there are common morphological factors that contribute to crossing barriers (which there almost certainly must be), then tests would be unnecessary.

• LC3 and WSantkeeper like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 10 2015 - 7:31 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Olive Oil

Formica

I've noticed with Formica francoeuri, they're able to defeat olive oil usually within a day or two by sticking debris to it.

Has anyone tried petroleum jelly?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2015 - 8:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I see no reason to try anything if you have Fluon.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#26 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 10 2015 - 9:34 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I see no reason to try anything if you have Fluon.

They've crossed that and subsequent coatings. Probably because the nest needs a good cleaning before reapplication, but there's no way to do that with them running around (original Talus).

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2015 - 9:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What I learned, is you can shine a hot light on the out world, making sure to heat up every inch of it, and all the ants will go back into the nest to escape the heat. At that point, you just plug the entrance, and you're free to do what you need to do.

#28 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 10 2015 - 12:59 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

What I learned, is you can shine a hot light on the out world, making sure to heat up every inch of it, and all the ants will go back into the nest to escape the heat. At that point, you just plug the entrance, and you're free to do what you need to do.

That's a good idea, I always forget about plugging the nest. I've found with heat though, some species will take that as an invitation to take the brood sunbathing (Crematogaster, I'm looking at you).  :warning:

#29 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 10 2015 - 3:12 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

(Crematogaster, I'm looking at you).  :warning:

Yeah my Crematogaster moved out of their test tube and into the out world as close to the heating cable as they could, when they were first introduced to it. :lol:

#30 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:37 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Teflon (oil based lubcricant)-

Argentine ants

Pheidole megacephala

Forelius pruinosus/mccooki

Tapinoma sessile

Dorymyrmex bicolor

Monomorium ergatogyna

Olive oil (works on the above ants, though must be re-applied every 2 weeks.)-

Tapinoma sessile

Fluon (insect-a-slip)-

Monomorium ergatogyna (they cross it easily. I applied it to the same as above species, but this species crossed every barrier I threw at them except olive oil. Probably their tiny size and they are generally amazing escape artists.)

To be honest, I had the best luck with olive oil and fluon. Both work differently depending on the species. Fluon works pretty much just as good with almost everything, except M. ergatogyna. And olive oil works on everything (that I've personally kept) except T. sessile.

Also, Argentine ants couldn't cross the olive oil for most part, but the occasional worker somehow made it past. However, the same happened with the fluon. They mostly couldn't cross, but once in a while (one or two workers every 1-2 weeks) I'd see somehow made it past. I applied the fluon exactly the same as all the other species I used it on, but some species (especially Monomorium ergatogyna) could still cross it. Its possible it was because the garage I keep ants in, is super hot and dry. There is a LOT of dust that is in the garage from my dad's workshop area...the occasional species (like M. ergatogyna who are very tiny) might take advantage of the dust.

Also for the olive oil. Pheidole megacephala and Monomorium ergatogyn wouldn't touch it all for 3+ months. They really hated the stuff. Fluon lasts a long time as well, but works longer (for most part) than olive oil.

Edited by Vendayn, August 11 2015 - 10:50 PM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2015 - 6:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah my Crematogaster moved out of their test tube and into the out world as close to the heating cable as they could, when they were first introduced to it. :lol:

I'm not talking about warming them up. I'm talking about 135 degrees or so. No ant is going to purposely hang around in temperatures like that.

#32 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 12 2015 - 7:40 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I'm not talking about warming them up. I'm talking about 135 degrees or so. No ant is going to purposely hang around in temperatures like that.

:o That doesn't roast them? With a heat lamp, if the outworld is 135, I can't imagine the nest area being less than 100.

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not in my formicariums.

#34 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted September 9 2015 - 9:27 PM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Cinnamon. I hear ants won't cross cinnamon. Maybe mix it with your Vaseline ?

#35 Offline Crystals - Posted September 10 2015 - 6:18 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

With the species I have tried, they happily crossed vaseline.  Formica podzolica/aserva/neogagates, Camponotus herculeanus, Lasius neoniger/crypticus/alienus, and Tapinoma sessile.

For the ants that won't cross olive oil, I tend to use olive oil.  I like olive oil because I can easily wash it off and re-apply it.  Fluon does not work on silicone corners that I have in some of my outworlds. 

I also think the fluon I have has something wrong with it, since I can never apply it without ants being able to cross it. I find after 4 months or so, the applied fluon tends to be next to impossible to wash off. Might be part of why I like olive oil.

• ant007 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#36 Offline Crystals - Posted October 9 2015 - 9:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I am pleased to report that my Crematogaster cerasi will not cross olive oil.  :D

My Colonies

#37 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted November 22 2016 - 8:02 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Any suggestions for a Pogonomyrmex colony.

#38 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 22 2016 - 10:06 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

My Pogonomyrmex colony can't climb acrylic or glass. I think you should be fine. If you're really worried you can use some olive oil but I doubt it's necessary.

Edited by Mdrogun, November 22 2016 - 10:07 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#39 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted November 23 2016 - 11:39 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

maybe we should clarify what type of olive oil and how you apply it? as applying different types and different ways of applying lead to different results.

for me i use 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil (i do have fluon but don't use it)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Nova

Lasius Neoniger

Lasius Umbratus

All of these have been used without a single escape.

I will admit that Tapinoma sessile escapes however its rare 

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#40 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted November 23 2016 - 1:29 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

My Pogonomyrmex colony can't climb acrylic or glass. I think you should be fine. If you're really worried you can use some olive oil but I doubt it's necessary.

Thank you for the information. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barrier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users