• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mini Hearth Counter-Options?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 1 2017 - 11:34 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

my M. Mimicus colony is currently in a THA atom c. The queen started out in a test tube for a bit till i got the atom C. She has been in there ever since and the colony is doing very well. I'm currently trying to get them to move into one of dspdrew dirt boxes. You can check out the journal from my signature.

#22 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 2 2017 - 12:36 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I highly recommend drews formicariums, mini hearth is the only good founding formicarium for tarheel in my opinion.

I wouldn't say that. Tarhill makes some fantastic stuff. I really like his atoms,growth Chambers and other products he makes. His stuff is well done and proven to work. I never used Drew's dirt box but I think I will buy a few to try out. I know they are proven successful.

I would without a doubt say the atoms are awful, i might have gotton 2 bad eggs from him, but anyone who owns a company (i think everyone) that it takes 10 good experiences to over come a bad experience, and i ordered 3 from him all came broken, different, and leaking. Tried reaching out to him, no returned emails, and ignored phone calls. Up to you if you want to buy something from someone like him.

#23 Offline Bryansant - Posted August 2 2017 - 8:05 AM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
My Atom C floods every time I fill the water tower. Some of the substrate must have leaked into the water tower during production - acts like a gravity wick pulling water out of the tower and down into the chamber. Otherwise, I really like THA designs.

#24 Offline Superant33 - Posted August 2 2017 - 10:12 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Some of my atoms work great. Some flood every time I add water (I am not over filling). I would say it's a 3 to 1 ratio for me. 3 great ones to one bad one. If not for the flooding issue, it would be preferable to the mini hearth for a few of my species. I still like starting honey pots in test tubes. It's easy.

#25 Offline kudofo - Posted August 2 2017 - 11:49 AM

kudofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I highly recommend drews formicariums, mini hearth is the only good founding formicarium for tarheel in my opinion.

I wouldn't say that. Tarhill makes some fantastic stuff. I really like his atoms,growth Chambers and other products he makes. His stuff is well done and proven to work. I never used Drew's dirt box but I think I will buy a few to try out. I know they are proven successful.

I bought some ants from drew in his dirt boxes/shacks and they thrived. I mean if some random persons opinion matters to you :)

Edited by kudofo, August 2 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#26 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:06 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Yeah atoms have a terribly designed hydration/humidity regulation system. needs to be reviewed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users