• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Woodlice question.

woodlice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline lucas3431 - Posted July 31 2017 - 12:02 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I'd like to ask, has anyone ever kept Woodlice in a natural setup with your colony?

I have added Woodlice to my Tarantulas before, they do a great job of cleaning decaying plant materials. Now I know springtails do just as good because my Vivariums are full of them, the only problem I had was... well as the Woodlice grew the tarantulas would see it as a snack .

Also this may sound silly, do you think the Ants will attack or eat the Woodlice?In the wild...ok my garden I've never actually seen Ants attacking Woodlice.

I have breed Woodlice before it's rather easy, if it is possible I would prefer to have Woodlice within a Natural setup for controlling decaying matter.

Thanks. 

• Nawor3565 likes this

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 31 2017 - 12:45 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It sounds like a great idea. I don't think the ants would try and attack them because they are pretty well armored. One time I read that some people feed these to ants but only if they were crushed. Also, anytime I've tried feeding these to my ants when I was too lazy to get other food then they showed no interest. 

• lucas3431 likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline lucas3431 - Posted July 31 2017 - 1:00 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

It sounds like a great idea. I don't think the ants would try and attack them because they are pretty well armored. One time I read that some people feed these to ants but only if they were crushed. Also, anytime I've tried feeding these to my ants when I was too lazy to get other food then they showed no interest. 

Humm  :thinking: Allies or they just taste really bad. 

I watched an AntsCanada video of him using Millipedes, the Ants went crazy defending with formic acid, so something on the smaller side wouldn't be too much of a threat, finding a Millipede here in Ireland is rather hard also I'm not sure how to breed them, so I'll stick to the little guys.

Thanks TennesseeAnts.

#4 Offline lucas3431 - Posted July 31 2017 - 1:08 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Woodlouse 

Despite being crustaceans like lobsters or crabs, woodlice are said to have an unpleasant taste similar to "strong urine".

Well that explains everything  :yum2: .

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#5 Offline BMM - Posted July 31 2017 - 1:28 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I keep a couple of species of isopods and I've tried using them as feeders before. Generally speaking, the ants seem to ignore them. However, isopods are voracious little things and I've heard stories of them attacking the eggs and young of other animals they're kept with. I'd be slightly concerned that they might try to eat the ants' eggs, larvae, and/or pupae. 

Edited by BMM, July 31 2017 - 1:28 PM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#6 Offline cpman - Posted July 31 2017 - 8:19 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Only a handful of ants will eat isopods -- they're too well armored for most to kill.

I imagine keeping them in the outworld would be no problem -- they'd help to clean up the refuse the ants may put there. As long as they don't get into the nest, they probably won't eat brood.
  • lucas3431 likes this

#7 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 1 2017 - 8:51 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I keep a couple of species of isopods and I've tried using them as feeders before. Generally speaking, the ants seem to ignore them. However, isopods are voracious little things and I've heard stories of them attacking the eggs and young of other animals they're kept with. I'd be slightly concerned that they might try to eat the ants' eggs, larvae, and/or pupae. 

Your story checks out and is confirmed by John Cloudsley-Thompson book called Spiders, Scorpions, Centipedes and Mites (1st Edition), I'm happy you passed this information on, I honestly never knew this, good job I never breed my tarantulas because I'm sure they would've enjoyed the treat.

So no adding Woodlouse then, sticking to springtails for the time been.

Edited by lucas3431, August 1 2017 - 8:52 AM.

#8 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 1 2017 - 8:55 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Only a handful of ants will eat isopods -- they're too well armored for most to kill.

I imagine keeping them in the outworld would be no problem -- they'd help to clean up the refuse the ants may put there. As long as they don't get into the nest, they probably won't eat brood.

I did take time to think about the decision whether to add or not, the nest would be deep, I have not known Woodlouse/lice to dig deep but I won't risk it.

Thank you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: woodlice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users