• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pairing queens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Bryce - Posted July 31 2017 - 5:02 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

Hey it's been awhile since I have posted on here, but still busy with my ants. I wanted to see if anyone else did this and what were the results. Around July 15th or so we got our first monsoon here in Phoenix. Due to my work schedule I was unable to go out and dig so I set up my blacklights. I was able to catch 4 Myrmecocystus Medax along with a bunch of other stuff. Making a long story short. 2 I felt were duds, after more then 2 weeks of nothing out of them. They kept there wings, which isn't unusual for them when I use the blacklight. They were each in a hydrostone cavern set up I make and use much like the tarhill ant mini hearth. Anyway I was about to cut them loose and I thought what would happen if I put them together? Would a little competition help? So I did. I also fed them a little honey. I did this on Saturday. Now Sunday the one dropped her wings and started laying eggs.The other one moves some of the dirt and sand around for her. It's comical in a way and totally unexpected. I wonder was it the instinct to be the first to lay eggs? The honey? Maybe the were just lonely lol!! I would like any feedback I can get. I guess I should add I know you can pair certain other queens together my question is strictly Myrmecocystus pairings.  I currently have a year old coloney that's growing like crazy. I do enjoy these ants and showing off the  repletes to friends and family always brings a gasp. 

Edited by Bryce, July 31 2017 - 5:40 PM.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 1 2017 - 5:01 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I heard from somewhere that Myrmecocystus do best in groups of 2-4. It's probably just a more resources thing though

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users