• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

oh wow!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mathiacus - Posted October 30 2014 - 9:53 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

I just witnessed the most amazing thing! one of my M.nigrocincta was tapping furiously on another's gaster. the second was curled around with its sting pointing at the first,which was doing the tapping. after a few moments the second laid an egg directly into the mouthparts (not the mandibles) of the first then the first proceeded to eat it.

is this a usual occurrence? I was blown away!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 30 2014 - 10:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hahaha, well I for one do not know, because I have never seen a worker lay an egg, but then again, I do not have ants like yours that are not sterile. I do not think any ant around here has workers that can lay eggs, but prove me wrong if you can please, I have never looked into that. :) As for your occurrence, I think it is a pretty common thing for Myrmecia to do this, but again, I am not sure. :)

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 31 2014 - 4:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What a coincidence! Just before I saw this post, I witnessed one of my Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus workers laying an egg. It was biting and biting like crazy at the tip of its gaster, and then I saw a little egg starting to pop out. It kept trying and trying to grab it, but it didn't look like it was coming all the way out. Eventually, It looked like it, or part of it was just hanging there damaged.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 31 2014 - 7:50 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So our ant workers CAN lay eggs! :D

#5 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 31 2014 - 8:16 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Seems like the workers just get dingleberries.  :sarcastic:

On a serious note, what is the purpose of workers laying eggs? Are they able to develop into males? 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 31 2014 - 8:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They're trophic eggs produced to be used as nutritious food.

#7 Offline James C. Trager - Posted October 31 2014 - 1:15 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Exactly, what dspdrew said! 

Many kinds of ants produce trophic ("feeder") eggs for nest mates, especially the queen(s), when solicited to do so. It happens quickly, and not very frequently due to limitations on egg production by workers (small ovaries), but if you watch for a while, you can see it. Tapinoma species are good for seeing this, in my experience.

Edited by James C. Trager, October 31 2014 - 1:17 PM.

#8 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted October 31 2014 - 3:43 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

I witness this constantly in my Crematogaster ashmeadi colony. In fact, the queen seems to subsist on nothing but worker-laid trophic eggs and the regurgitations of first instar larvae. The queen solicits an egg similar to how she would through trophollaxis.

#9 Offline Mathiacus - Posted December 8 2014 - 5:19 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

again I witnessed a Myrmecia tarsata worker laying an egg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users