• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ultra's Stenamma Brevicorne journal [6/5/17] -> [6/2/18]

ultraex2 stenamma brevicorne semi-claustral semi claustral stenamma brevicorne

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 5 2017 - 9:22 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

These queens were caught on 5/13/17 on a warm day a couple days after it had rained.  Most were pulled from a pool but 2 were caught in the woods.  I decided to hold off on making this journal until I at least had eggs since I had no idea how to get them started.  I will make sure to update this whenever anything significant happens.

I have been feeding them fruit flies and just gave them cricket legs/heads.  It seems like all the ones that have eggs/larvae have eaten the fruit flies while the ones that didn't have not yet.

GAvgKbi.jpg

They seem to be semi-claustral so I created some setups where they could forage for food out of small containers from the dollar store.

It looks like the setups are working - at least 2 of them have eggs/larvae!  Here is a picture of one of them which also decided to make a claustral chamber in the cotton holding the water:
UspJL4i.jpg

It seems like no one has really ever tried keeping them so hopefully I can get a colony started.

Edited by ultraex2, June 1 2018 - 10:35 PM.

• LC3, Martialis, Nathant2131 and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted June 5 2017 - 2:31 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I just found a really small colony of these with two queens. Good luck with yours!

• ultraex2 likes this
Spoiler

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 14 2017 - 9:53 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Update 6/13/17:

Good and bad news:

The good news is, the first larvae!
ib0fJzR.jpg
The bad news, unfortunately, is that it looks like the only queen with larvae is the only fertile one.  The rest haven't laid eggs (6) and the other one that has laid eggs still only has eggs as far as I can tell, although it looks like there is a lot more.  The one with just eggs also has a couple mites walking around the test tube as well as another one, so I put them in a bin and put diatamaceous earth in it so they won't get out and infest the other eclosures.

My next update will (hopefully) be when the larvae pupate or eclose - I have no idea how long it takes but it seems like it took about 2-3 weeks for fairly large larvae, so hopefully they'll pupate soon and I'll have nanitics within the next few weeks.

Edited by ultraex2, July 18 2017 - 10:09 AM.

• Jonathan21700 and LC3 like this

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 19 2017 - 9:13 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
6/19/2017:

Another small update.  I fed them on Saturday 6/17/17 with small pieces of mealworm.  It looked like 2 had eggs and the one with the first larvae now has about 6 larvae!  They are starting to darken so I'm hoping they will pupate soon.

wPpT3k7.jpg

Edited by ultraex2, July 18 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 26 2017 - 6:12 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
6/25/17:

I checked on them and gave them fruit flies yesterday on 6/25.  It looks like one of the other queens now has small larvae.  The queen doing the best now has pupae!  Hopefully they should eclose soon.  These ants do not form cocoons when they pupate.

[This image was lost when Photobucket stopped hosting]

Edited by ultraex2, July 18 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 5 2017 - 6:27 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Update 7/5/17:

Nanitics!

The first pupae has been darkening more and more the past few days so I've been holding off until it hatched.  It looks like another one will eclose in the next 5 days and there are several more pupae on their way.  Hopefully 1 or 2 will keep eclosing every week and this colony will grow well.  They seem to love fruit flies so I will probably give them some this Wednesday.

http://imgur.com/kQfP0q1

kQfP0q1.jpg

opr1Wth.jpg

Edited by ultraex2, July 18 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• T.C. likes this

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted July 5 2017 - 8:21 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Congrats! Looks like you're the only one of us left with Stennama now.. mine died. :(

Spoiler

#8 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 5 2017 - 8:29 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks!

Darn, that stinks... do you know what may have caused them to die off?  

#9 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 18 2017 - 10:02 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
7/18/2017:

I have been mainly feeding them fruit flies and honey with the occasional cricket - there are now 4 workers + the queen. The colony seems to be steadily growing with 1-3 workers eclosing every week. They seem pretty laid back and seem to be more active at night.

VUkEpB4.jpg

Edited by ultraex2, July 18 2017 - 10:11 AM.

• T.C. and Nathant2131 like this

#10 Offline ultraex2 - Posted August 15 2017 - 1:11 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

8/15/2017:

Been about a month since my last update!  The colony is doing well and a second queen just had workers eclose(yay).  The main colony is at 8 workers with several pupae, and I think a 3rd queen is going to have nanitics eclose sometime this week as well.

New colony:

There are 2 workers and a couple larvae.  

fcK8z7x.jpg

The main colony is doing really well - they are steadily growing and have 8 workers, with 3 more to eclose soon.  There is almost always a few eggs, larvae, and pupae - steady but consistent.

wya7flK.jpg

q6z2Rve.jpg

g78QgvB.jpg

I'm hoping to get them moved into a Formicarium before long - although they're doing well in the test tube, so I don't want to force them to move.

Edited by ultraex2, August 15 2017 - 1:16 PM.

#11 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:29 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Update 9/12/17:

This colony is still doing well!  1 worker died a couple weeks ago, but they're up to 12 workers with about 1 pupae and 5 larvae on the way.

med_gallery_1449_979_3236280.jpg

med_gallery_1449_979_2983204.jpg

• VoidElecent likes this

#12 Offline ultraex2 - Posted October 7 2017 - 1:46 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Update 10/7/2017:

Just fed them and the colony is still doing really well so far.  They are steadily growing and have a good-sized pile of brood with new workers eclosing every week and have about 12 workers + the queen.  I also gave them an outworld to forage in, giving them a bit more space in their test tube.  I don't think they're big enough for a formicarium yet - probably next year.

Setup:

med_gallery_1449_987_2371653.jpg

med_gallery_1449_987_2807646.jpg

Here are some more close-up pictures of the colony:

med_gallery_1449_987_1466738.jpg

med_gallery_1449_987_1518027.jpg

med_gallery_1449_987_1985604.jpg

Edited by ultraex2, October 7 2017 - 1:47 PM.

• LC3, Bracchymyrmex, Spamdy and 1 other like this

#13 Offline ultraex2 - Posted May 14 2018 - 8:57 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Update 5/14/2018:

Took this colony out of hibernation about 1.5 months ago and they are doing great.  Massive brood piles and this colony is probably looking to double over the next couple weeks.  I think after this next round of brood hatches I will need to move them into a standard formicarium setup.

(you can see the queen in this picture)

Edited by ultraex2, May 14 2018 - 9:13 AM.

• LC3, Karma and AntsBC like this

#14 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 1 2018 - 10:34 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Update 6/2/2018:

This colony is doing great and has tons of brood, the first alates have appeared as well!  They are still in a test tube, thinking about moving them into a Formicarium soon though.

• Leo, rbarreto, AntsBC and 1 other like this

#15 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 1 2019 - 10:25 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Are they still alive? I found one of these queens once, but I let her go. Now I kinda regret that.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ultraex2, stenamma, brevicorne, semi-claustral, semi claustral, stenamma brevicorne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users