1. Location of collection: Zeeland Michigan in a mobile home park. Found crawling down a maple tree in my flower box.
2. Date of collection: June 3, 2017. Around 4:30 PM I think just after a light rain.
3. Habitat of collection: Somewhat urban area
4. Length (from head to gaster): 17-18mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black with stripes on abdomen.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Very large. Rather shocking to see this one running at me.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Agitated easily at first, has calmed down now. I think my cousin accidentally watered it when she watered the flowers. This one is surprisingly steady and is not clumsy at all.
8. Nest description: None
I am thinking that this one is a Camponotus (Camponotus pennsylvanicus maybe?).
She is in a plastic test tube. My glass ones are a little smaller, and I didn't want her to be cramped. These plastic ones are a little cloudy though.