• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Claims of permits to ship ants

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 14 2017 - 4:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm seeing a lot of people in the chat room lately claiming they have permits to ship ants--some of them children even. I highly doubt anybody here would be able to get a permit to ship ants across State lines or in and out of the US, so it really sounds like someone is mistaken, or being fed disinformation, and in turn spreading it around the ant-keeping community.

If anyone would like to prove they have a permit, feel free to post it here.

• dermy, Subverted, Kevin and 2 others like this

#2 Offline CozmoDog - Posted May 14 2017 - 5:51 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Uhm I don't know about the US but in Europe you can ship ants freely I think maybe they mean that?

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:06 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Uhm I don't know about the US but in Europe you can ship ants freely I think maybe they mean that?

Nope, shipping across state borders in the US is highly illegal and punishable by large fines.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:33 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It would be completely irrelevant for a seller to have "shipping permits" -- if the person receiving cannot produce a valid APHIS importation permit, then both of you are breaking the law and violating the rules of the forum. This is a problem.

• Subverted and CallMeCraven like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Dbiggerstaff11 - Posted May 14 2017 - 1:48 PM

Dbiggerstaff11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

There is a guy that is privatly chatting me telling me he wants to sell me queens by shipping

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 14 2017 - 5:21 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There is a guy that is privatly chatting me telling me he wants to sell me queens by shipping

Unless we know who they are, there's not much we can do with this information.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#7 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted May 14 2017 - 9:04 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I would encourage you to stop talking to them as they are asking you to participate in something illegal in the US. Besides, its ant season and catching your queens is one of the best parts!

• dermy, noebl1, Martialis and 2 others like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#8 Offline Subverted - Posted May 15 2017 - 9:47 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Have any of the people making these claims provided any evidence at all to support their assertions? This seems like one of those "you have to see it to believe" sort of things.

Hopefully nobody is stupid enough to try it and gets caught...aside from the fines I sorta think that could have some negative blow back for the rest of us who are playing by the rules.
  • gcsnelling likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 15 2017 - 9:50 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Considering that states like California are considering making it illegal to collect ants or other insects without a permit, you are absolutely right. Poaching and trafficking are hurting everybody.

• gcsnelling and Martialis like this

----

#10 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 15 2017 - 10:03 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan
I'd say have each one that is claiming they have it, produce actual proof. If and when they don't, ban them. They are blatantly lying and spreading false information at the benefit of themselves. They're completely ignoring the rules, and covering it up by saying they have a permit. To me, that is grounds for expulsion. 

• Subverted, Kevin, Martialis and 2 others like this

#11 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 15 2017 - 10:09 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I'd say have each one that is claiming they have it, produce actual proof. If and when they don't, ban them. They are blatantly lying and spreading false information at the benefit of themselves. They're completely ignoring the rules, and covering it up by saying they have a permit. To me, that is grounds for expulsion. 

^ I second this. Though there is no age requirement, immaturity often leads to exaggerations of the truth or (now more prevalent) blatant lies and this should not be tolerated.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#12 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 15 2017 - 11:20 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Not to mention the amount of trouble these guys could land the recipient into. If they are in fact lying about possessing a permit, who's to say they're not lying and telling recipients it's legal for them to receive shipments across state lines? There's a lot of immaturity going on, and this is a very slippery slope we've come to. I really think you should nip this in the butt.

• Martialis likes this

#13 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted May 15 2017 - 12:49 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Even for an ecologist associated with a university, like myself, getting approval to move wildlife which requires any sort of permit is a painstaking, often months-long process which varies based on location and taxa. Applying for a permit to move such animals requires sender and receiver information as well as what's being moved, how many, and why.

No one is going to have some "general use" or "open-ended" permit to move wildlife, and anyone not associated with a research institution participating in active research on the animal listed in the permit application, e.g., hobbyists, probably wouldn't be approved anyway.  

• gcsnelling, Subverted, Herdo and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users