• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Interesting L. umbratus behaviour

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:40 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Quick history; my L. alienus queen died not long after waking from hibernation, leaving a couple workers from last season and a small egg pile that went thru hibernation.  After 2 - 3 weeks I introduced an L. umbratus queen, and the two workers accepted her.  Lost one worker due to drowning, so down to one.

Here's the behaviour I observed last night.  The L. umbratus queen was significantly more active than normal. Typically she moves around a bit here and there, but she was moving around the tube quite a bit.  I noticed she was taking a very specific size of larvae in her mandibles, would feverishly move it around in her mandibles, her antenna furiously moving as well, then put it down.  Sometimes place it away from the rest of the brood pile.  In the time I watched she did this probably 6 or 7 times (I had a toddler on my lap, so could only watch so much.)  The worker would follow her, pick the larvae back up, and put it back.  There are several sizes of larvae, and she seemed to be only selecting one specific size to rearrange.  My first inclination was she was eating them, but she looked to be carefully moving them around in her mandibles before moving them around the tube under the foil with their food.   

This is my first season with Lasius, none-the-less a parasitic queen.  Not sure if this behaviour is typical.  Thanks!

Edited by noebl1, May 14 2017 - 7:42 AM.

• Batspiderfish likes this

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted May 15 2017 - 2:59 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
It seems that she is trying to collect the host's scent. Even though the workers accepted her, eventually they would have found out and killed the parasitic queen.
  • noebl1 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 15 2017 - 3:42 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

That's not a bad idea.  Just because I haven't seen it before, doesn't mean she hasn't done it prior to keep the scent going.  Next morning she was back to normal and pretty sedate.  Didn't really notice anything out of place with the brood pile either.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 15 2017 - 8:00 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've assumed that parasitic queens will rob host larvae of their protein so that she may lay their own eggs. They seem to be capable of cleaning brood, although they only appear to be able to open cocoons under unique circumstances. I've observed it happening with Lasius subumbratus when there were two founding queens -- perhaps subordinate queens can be enticed to perform some worker duties. It would feel peculiar if most single queens would rather die than open a cocoon if no workers are present. Cocoon-opening could be a trait unique to certain species.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 15 2017 - 8:05 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 15 2017 - 8:03 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

What was interesting was the ones I saw her manipulating, they all seemed to be about the same size.  There are significantly larger (assuming getting close to pupation?), and some smaller larvae from this season eggs still there from the previous queen.  I have no way of knowing if she's fertile or even laid yet due to the existing brood pile (and white cotton.)  

Edited by noebl1, May 15 2017 - 8:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users