• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greetings from Canada.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 8:59 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Hello.

I am a dude from Ontario, Canada.

I recently caught two Lasuis sp queens and they are in my test tubes. I am hoping they'd egg - one day - and hope to show off my set up once they do...

Until then, I have nothing to do.

• Jake likes this

#2 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted September 29 2014 - 9:15 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Hello.

I am a dude from Ontario, Canada.

I recently caught two Lasuis sp queens and they are in my test tubes. I am hoping they'd egg - one day - and hope to show off my set up once they do...

Until then, I have nothing to do.

Lasius queens that fly this late in the season tend to require a hibernation period to beginning laying eggs.  I would suggest storing them in a fridge for a few months during the winter.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 29 2014 - 9:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 9:36 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Lasius queens that fly this late in the season tend to require a hibernation period to beginning laying eggs.  I would suggest storing them in a fridge for a few months during the winter.

That was what I was told at Yuku ant forum. It's like summer here right now in Ontario though and this year's winter is predicted to be fairly warm and mild. I guess I will put them in a fridge around November and let them out in early Feb.

Or should I put them in now and take them out in December?

Edited by dean_k, September 29 2014 - 9:38 AM.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted September 29 2014 - 10:11 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome to the forum, nice to see a fellow Canadian on here instead of all those Californians :P

As it's been stated Lasius need to be hibernated, heck all ants that require a period of hibernation will need to hibernate soon.

I've been told 3 months is good enough for hibernation so if you put them in on October 1st/2014 then you can take them out either late December or January 1st/2014.

#6 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:01 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

There is a concern for me though.

If they manage to lay eggs and develop a colony, how would I put them in hibernation? What I am trying to say is that I won't have a big room in my fridge for ants. And my garage goes udner freezing temp during winter.

I don't think putting them in my basement will be an option since my basement simply isn't cool enough for anything to go hibernating.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:08 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!  Nice to see another Canadian.

Did this Lasius fly yesterday or the day before?  I happen to know that there was a humongous flight of Lasius pallitarsis on those days in southern Ontario - the best part with Lasius pallitarsis is that the workers will be yellow!  :D

Here are some pictures of various formicariums: http://forum.formicu...-and-outworlds/

Many of them are flat and will fit on a fridge shelf.  You can just remove the outworld and attach a test tube with hummingbird nectar when the colony gets bigger.

Those all in one formicariums don't work so well with those of us that need to hibernate ants.  Although I did manage to hibernate 2 large all in one nests in one of those plug-in coolers.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:18 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Welcome!  Nice to see another Canadian.

Did this Lasius fly yesterday or the day before?  I happen to know that there was a humongous flight of Lasius pallitarsis on those days in southern Ontario - the best part with Lasius pallitarsis is that the workers will be yellow!  :D

Here are some pictures of various formicariums: http://forum.formicu...-and-outworlds/

Many of them are flat and will fit on a fridge shelf.  You can just remove the outworld and attach a test tube with hummingbird nectar when the colony gets bigger.

Those all in one formicariums don't work so well with those of us that need to hibernate ants.  Although I did manage to hibernate 2 large all in one nests in one of those plug-in coolers.

Hello, they were found about a week ago. I parked my car on driveway after work and I ran into a whole army of them flying about. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared and could only capture two winged ants with big bellies.

I haven't seen any other mating flights since then. I am unsure which specific species they are but they are Lasius. And, yes, the males were very yellow and shiny. Females seem to be darker and not shiny and 3x bigger.

Originally, I placed them in jars with garden soil and they dug into the soil within hours after tearing their wings off. I am hoping that was the indication that they were fertilized.

I moved to glass tubes 4 days later after buying them from a local lab equipment factory around my house.

I purchased AntsCanada Omni nest vertical small and it's on its way.

IMG_2536_zps927034d0.jpg

IMG_2538_zpsc4720781.jpg

Edited by dean_k, September 29 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:33 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

They will do much better in test tubes.  It will be a while before they need the ant nest (wait until there are at least 25 workers in the test tube).

Lasius will need hibernation.  Keep an eye on them for a week, if no eggs appear put them in the fridge until early January (that will also make your Christmas easier). 

If she does happen to lay eggs, then leave her out while she raises them. 

It will be easier on both of you if she hibernates before she decides to raise a family.  When she is not in hibernation, try offering a small drop of sugar water every week, she doesn't need it, but it does help a bit with species that hibernate.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#10 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:46 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Thanks.

They had been in the jars for 4 days before they were relocated and they've been in the tubes for about 3 days now.

I noticed that the queens absolutely avoided any contact or lights while they were in jars, so I doubt they will eat anything. I will probably put a queen in a fridge because she seems to be doing nothing but just stand still.

The other queen, however, seems fairly active and seems to be drinking a lot from web cottons. She is also cleaning her front legs and antenna a lot. She's just very active. I am not sure what her actions mean at this point but I should just wait for now.

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The actions don't really mean anything.  The one may just like to clean herself a bit more.

The hardest part with ants is waiting for the queens to get their first workers.  :D

My Colonies

#12 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 12:01 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The actions don't really mean anything.  The one may just like to clean herself a bit more.

The hardest part with ants is waiting for the queens to get their first workers.  :D

And it seems Lasius queens are not in a rush to start a colony from what I reads over after some googling.

My first queens and probably the meanest ones. I have to wait months.... :/

#13 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 29 2014 - 12:25 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Hi fellow Southern Ontario Canadian! I would suggest putting them in a box in the back of your fridge for hibernation. Probably the safest most controlled way to hibernate them.

#14 Offline dean_k - Posted September 29 2014 - 12:35 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

O_o

Hello, Mercutia. You are here as well?

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 29 2014 - 2:40 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dermy, Crystals, Mercutia, Michael of Vancouver, and Mads are all in Canada. I for the record am in Southern California. Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

#16 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 30 2014 - 2:12 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I'm from the GTA, particularly Mississauga.

#17 Offline Mads - Posted September 30 2014 - 7:04 AM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada
Good to see another Canadian on here!

Mads

#18 Offline dean_k - Posted September 30 2014 - 9:13 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I'm from the GTA, particularly Mississauga.

You live like 20 minutes away from my location then. That's quite close.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome.

#19 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 30 2014 - 10:21 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Haha yay! We can send each other mating flight notifications!

#20 Offline dean_k - Posted September 30 2014 - 10:24 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Eh, sure, although I am not planning to raise a massive army of ants. I just want a colony really. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users