• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis invicta

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CajunNative - Posted May 1 2017 - 1:26 PM

CajunNative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

I have a fire ant infestation in my yard, I just noticed with all the drones dead on my driveway and by walking up and down it a few times with a container for ten minutes I have gathered ten Solenopsis invicta queens. I don't want them. I can't keep them. My daughter is allergic to them and I don't want to risk any kind of a break out, especially since they would be my first ants. So I'm looking to get rid of them. I could kill them but I rather give them to someone who might want them. If no one is interested then I'm just going to kill them. I know that may seem harsh but they're Solenopsis invicta and I'm sure you all know about them. Me and my husband are constantly getting rid of hills around our yard to make our home safe for my daughter to play outside but there are just so many of them. So I'm doing my part by catching as many queens as I can. So anyone interested in them?

If you're interested I can post pictures of the queens I caught. Only a few of them have wings. The rest are wingless and I know they're not drones based on the mass amounts of dead drones I found just on my driveway. Like they may be drones but I highly doubt it. So if people are interested, I'll hold onto them and make sure you don't die off before giving them to people. 

#2 Offline Jelly - Posted May 1 2017 - 2:20 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They are an invasive species, just put them in your freezer.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 1 2017 - 2:51 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Kill em off. It's better for the environment, anyways, people will always be able to find invicta queens so don't feel bad about it.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted May 1 2017 - 2:55 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
I personally like the species alot, despite the fact their invasive. I find them interesting. I would take them but I am a wisconsinite, so I can't. Freeze them or let them go.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:09 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Isn't there a law that prohibits even digging up colonies, touching any of the workers (and any other part of the colony) and not transporting them at all (even a few feet)? Or is that a California only law?

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:32 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Isn't there a law that prohibits even digging up colonies, touching any of the workers (and any other part of the colony) and not transporting them at all (even a few feet)? Or is that a California only law?

He's in Louisiana,

Spoiler

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 1 2017 - 4:08 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

He's in Louisiana,

Yes. But is it a country law? Or one that is special only to California? Since they are so invasive, I imagine it be logical if the law was the same everywhere. But maybe that law is unique only to California.

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted May 1 2017 - 4:08 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

He's in Louisiana,

Yes. But is it a country law? Or one that is special only to California? Since they are so invasive, I imagine it be logical if the law was the same everywhere. But maybe that law is unique only to California.

Not a country law.

Spoiler

#9 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 1 2017 - 4:26 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Ah, well in any case I don't think its very appropriate to go around selling/trading invasive ants (non-native ants in general, but invasive ants especially) of any kind. That only helps them spread more, as someone is bound to release them if they got too big or they had to move or any number of things. I know MOST wouldn't, but there are people out there that don't care and release things that shouldn't be in their local area. Then you end up with places like California with Argentine ants all over, because no one did anything (or waited to late, or more likely I guess didn't even care) to stop them spreading. You have to drive a far way in California to find any native ants, which is very sad.

Helping spread invasive ants through trade doesn't really help matters. Unless it doesn't matter anymore, and trading/buying/selling invasive ants is just regarded as normal now. If so, I know of tons of ants that are pretty interesting that are in California that aren't native :P

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users