• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Michigan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steelchair - Posted September 21 2014 - 3:56 AM

steelchair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Hello. I am new to keeping ants. Yesteday I caught 14 queens. Most are what I believe are fire ants and a few are pavement ants. I have them in test tube setups for now.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 21 2014 - 4:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Awesome. Welcome. :)

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted September 21 2014 - 6:46 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome.

Look forward to seeing how your colonies grow.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 21 2014 - 9:25 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is really cool! What fire ants in Michigan?  :thinking:

I have both fire ants and pavement ants so if you have any questions, feel free to ask! 

#5 Offline steelchair - Posted September 21 2014 - 9:28 AM

steelchair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Thanks for the welcomes. I would like to take some pictures for Identification purposes. I am worried about disturbing them though.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 21 2014 - 9:35 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You do not have to worry about disturbing either of these species, fire ants and pavement ants are very good ants for beginners, it is hard to disturb them, they are hardy, both will most likely have workers within a month like mine did (Getting workers in a month is really fast compared to other types of ants.)

#7 Offline steelchair - Posted September 21 2014 - 9:39 AM

steelchair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I have been doing some online searching but I'm not sure what kind they are. I have a pond in my yard that is surrounded by colonies. They are bright orange workers. Maybe Solenopsis molestra? I am new to this so I'm not sure.

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 21 2014 - 9:43 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Solenopsis molesta is the only Solenopsis up in Michigan I think, there may be others, but chances are they are something of the "Thief ant" part of the Solenopsis genus. I would not know if there is more than that, Antweb doesn't have Michigan yet.

#9 Offline steelchair - Posted September 21 2014 - 10:04 AM

steelchair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I just checked on them. One has removed her wings. Several others are cleaning their gasters. They didn't seem to mind the light when I removed the cloth covering the tubes. I tried to get pictures but my battery died.

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 21 2014 - 10:10 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Neither species really cares about light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users