• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Queen ID

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 4 2017 - 1:13 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey everyone, I used this forum a lot last year but I haven't really used it at all since hibernation. Anyway, I caught this Lasius queen last year, along with a few similar ones. I suspect it's Lasius neoniger because of its location, but I'm not really sure. I caught them during a huge nuptial flight in the afternoon of October (maybe September) last year in a suburban area of Long Island, New York. I believe they came from nearby colonies on people's lawns. They're around 8 mm long, and they still have no workers yet. I tried getting good pictures of the antennae and mandibles with my macro lens, hopefully they're good enough.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 4 2017 - 1:23 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

The pictures are really good, what camera are you using?

I have a very similar (if not identical) looking Lasius queen, with pupae as well. I'm waiting for her workers to eclose, so I can identify her more easily depending on the colour of the adult workers. That'll narrow down the possibilities for sure:

• Light brown workers: L. neoniger or L. pillitarsis
  • Grey, black or dark brown workers: L. alienus
  • Orange or yellow workers: L. nearcticus or L. flavus

Of course, it's entirely possible to ID queens, it may be worth giving it a shot!

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 4 2017 - 1:24 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Try getting some closer shots of the mandibles, and antennal scapes to see the hair coverage.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 4 2017 - 1:29 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I have a very similar (if not identical) looking Lasius queen, with pupae as well. I'm waiting for her workers to eclose, so I can identify her more easily depending on the colour of the adult workers. That'll narrow down the possibilities for sure:

Of course, it's entirely possible to ID queens, it may be worth giving it a shot!

Color probably won't be very reliable to differentiate L. neoniger / L. pallitarsis and Lasius alienus.

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 4 2017 - 1:39 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Color probably won't be very reliable to differentiate L. neoniger / L. pallitarsis and Lasius alienus.

I don't know about its effectiveness in L. neoniger vs. L. pillitarsis, but I think it should be sufficient to rule out L. alienus. You should check this thread out from a while ago, it may help.

#6 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 5 2017 - 2:56 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I think I've narrowed her down to Lasius flavus or Lasius nearcticus, because she has 7 teeth on her mandibles and no hairs on her antennal scapes. Anyone disagree?

#7 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 5 2017 - 3:27 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I don't know about its effectiveness in L. neoniger vs. L. pillitarsis, but I think it should be sufficient to rule out L. alienus. You should check this thread out from a while ago, it may help.

I disagree. The workers of Lasius neoniger and Lasius alienus can vary in color, and end up looking wayyyy too similar for their color to be considered a distinguishing character. 

Lasius alienus:

Lasius neoniger:

Looking for the hard morphological characters of these two (in this case, the hair coverage on the antennal scapes) would be the ideal way to approach this ID in all respects. 

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 5 2017 - 7:30 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I think I've narrowed her down to Lasius flavus or Lasius nearcticus, because she has 7 teeth on her mandibles and no hairs on her antennal scapes. Anyone disagree?

Right. If there aren't any standing hairs on the antennal scapes, then it is not Lasius neoniger nor Lasius pallitarsis. Lasius alienus is still a distant possibility, but given the small-looking eyes, the flavus group is a good bet. Looks like you'll be finding out soon!

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 6 2017 - 4:46 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 6 2017 - 2:43 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
I agree with flavus- group on this one. It is a little tough to differentiate L. flavus and L. nearcticus. The last segment of the maxillary palp on L. flavus will be shorter than the second-to-last one. If not, it is L. nearcticus.

#10 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 6 2017 - 8:06 AM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I might try to take a look at her under my microscope today, but I highly doubt it'll be able to focus on something that close.

#11 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 6 2017 - 1:58 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
The first nanitic eclosed today! Is it any easier to differentiate between L. flavus and L. nearcticus workers than it is for the queens?

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 6 2017 - 1:59 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

The first nanitic eclosed today! Is it any easier to differentiate between L. flavus and L. nearcticus workers than it is for the queens?

Not that I am aware of.

Let's see some pics of the worker, to make sure it is not a niger-group species.

Edited by Nathant2131, June 6 2017 - 2:01 PM.

#13 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 6 2017 - 3:08 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Alright, I looked under the microscope and it appears that she's Lasius nearcticus. The last segment of her maxillary palps is longer than the second to last one.
  • Nathant2131 and VoidElecent like this

#14 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 6 2017 - 4:30 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

This has me a bit bumming about mine (which are super close to eclosing their first nanitics any day now as all have pupae).  I really wanted L. neoniger, and I know they were flying the day I found mine as the colonies were overflowing with alates, but also others as well for sure (including an interesting couple Lasius that were smaller, but quite a bit yellower underneath.)  I also noticed among the Lasius suspect neoniger I found, they all coloration wise looked the same, but one was noticeable larger than the others.  Wish I could get a shot with a microscope for sure.

#15 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 8 2017 - 3:47 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
It's been 2 days, and the first nanitics (the darkest ones in the pictures) are still not yellow. In fact, they're darker than yellow! Is that normal for this species?

#16 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 8 2017 - 4:04 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Well, they definitely aren't flavus group that's for sure
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#17 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 8 2017 - 4:17 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Well, they definitely aren't flavus group that's for sure

Looking at the Field Guide of New England book, the eyes look way to large for flavus or nearcticus.

#18 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 8 2017 - 4:35 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
Wow, yes these don't look like flavus-group at all!

#19 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 8 2017 - 5:30 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I would start to consider L. alienus and L. pallitarsis more seriously!

#20 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 8 2017 - 6:05 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Since it flew in Sept/October, I'd think L. alienus would be less likely as they are mostly July fliers I thought?

• Nathant2131 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users