• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Queen ID

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 8 2017 - 6:28 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm stumped! The mandible and antennal scape hair characteristics would definitely make it seem like Lasius nearcticus! I guess I'll just need to wait and see what color they are in a few days.

#22 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 8 2017 - 7:42 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm guessing that there are standing hairs there that you can't see, or this is Lasius alienus. Eurasian Lasius alienus do fly in the fall.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#23 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 9 2017 - 5:24 AM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Well I'm not in Eurasia, so it's probably not Lasius alienus. If I remember today, I'll check for standing hairs that I missed.

#24 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 9 2017 - 7:19 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Well I'm not in Eurasia, so it's probably not Lasius alienus. If I remember today, I'll check for standing hairs that I missed.

I think in another post @batspiderfish mentioned (can't find it but swear I saw it :) ), that they think there may be a Eurasian import of Lasius alienus (maybe even niger), in the United States, hence the different flight schedule.

#25 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted June 9 2017 - 9:14 AM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I think in another post @batspiderfish mentioned (can't find it but swear I saw it :) ), that they think there may be a Eurasian import of Lasius alienus (maybe even niger), in the United States, hence the different flight schedule.

Lasius alienus is widely distributed throughout much of North America and is pretty common in the systems I work with in the northwest.

#26 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 9 2017 - 9:28 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Lasius alienus is widely distributed throughout much of North America and is pretty common in the systems I work with in the northwest.

I may have worded it poorly, I meant there may be a particular L. alienus sp variety that may be here more closely related to Eurasian L. alienus sp which is shown by their difference in flight schedules.  I wish I could find the original post, he explained it better than I :(  Not sure if it was here or on the Ants Canada forum.  Hopefully he pops back in and says I am incorrect or can clarify.

Edited by noebl1, June 9 2017 - 9:29 AM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#27 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 9 2017 - 2:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Nothing concrete. It was a speculation from James Trager about some of the late-flying Lasius alienus sightings. The North American variety only flies from July to early August, while the European populations fly even later.

• noebl1, Nathant2131 and Cameron C. Thomas like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#28 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 10 2017 - 11:33 AM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Upon closer inspection under my microscope, it appears that there are some TINY hairs on the antennal scape. And I mean minuscule, they're barely visible.

Now that I googled Lasius neoniger antennal scape, I think she's Lasius neoniger because the hairs in the picture were pretty much exactly the same size.
  • noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

#29 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 10 2017 - 11:38 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Standing hairs (Like the ones on L. neoniger) are also present on Lasius pallitarsis, But I believe the pictures of the queen were sufficient enough to rule out L. pallitarsis as there is an absence of an offset basal tooth. I would say Laius neoniger for this colony if there really are standing hairs on the scapes.

#30 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 10 2017 - 1:46 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Upon closer inspection under my microscope, it appears that there are some TINY hairs on the antennal scape. And I mean minuscule, they're barely visible.

Now that I googled Lasius neoniger antennal scape, I think she's Lasius neoniger because the hairs in the picture were pretty much exactly the same size.

There is a distinction between appressed hairs (the fine ones that run somewhat parallel with the antennal scapes) and standing hairs, which stick out, away from the scapes. All of the Lasius in question have appressed hairs.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 10 2017 - 1:47 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

----

#31 Offline MC Wren - Posted June 11 2017 - 1:19 PM

MC Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
These did stick out, they were just very small.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users