• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Queen ID

niger group flavus group neoniger nearcticus pillisartis alienus flavus lasius lasius id lasius queen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 12 2017 - 4:12 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

1. Location of collection: Horsham, Pennsylvania. (Carpenter Park, if you'd like to Google it: 1000 Horsham Rd, Ambler, PA 19002)

2. Date of collection: September 5th, 2016.

3. Habitat of collection: Wooded, suburban area. Artificial, sandy trails but no other traces of natural sand around the park.

4. Length (from head to gaster): Approx. 9 mm to 1 cm.

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark brown with reflective gaster, looks lighter and slightly yellowish in direct light.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Reflective gaster, lightly colored legs.

7. Distinguishing behavior: Just normal queen stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary.

8. Nest description: Well, she's living in a test tube if that qualifies...

My brother and I caught this queen during fall of last year, and just assumed she was neoniger. Upon learning that Lasius queens are actually pretty difficult to ID, I've narrowed it down to five species:

1. (Niger-group) Lasius neoniger

2. (Niger-group) Lasius alienus

3. (Niger-group) Lasius pillisartis

4. (Flavus-group) Lasius nearcticus

5. (Flavus-group) Lasius flavus

I've taken some pictures, but they're not great. I also attempted to capture some footage of her mandibles underneath a microscope I found in my house but the pictures were extremely difficult, almost impossible to get with an iPhone camera. I'll post the pics anyways though. I apologize for them in advance.

FullSizeRender-5_zpsjzxbbxu1.jpgFullSizeRender-3_zpsimwrjorb.jpgFullSizeRender_zpspyljdog6.jpgIMG_2684_zpsi2v7pkam.jpgFullSizeRender-7_zpswlqvvzlv.jpgFullSizeRender-4_zpsgcelzop1.jpgIMG_2678_zpsjzpycmkk.jpgIMG_2677_zps1rtwfcvh.jpgIMG_2674_zpssclxidgw.jpgIMG_2673_zpsjqbxwk8x.jpgIMG_2672_zpscjmy9985.jpgIMG_2671_zpssruxufq1.jpgIMG_2662_zpsdxspguds.jpgFullSizeRender-6_zpsqzjnyr8s.jpgIMG_2658_zpsnzu1mvgw.jpgIMG_2656_zps4gr8t7i0.jpg

• T.C., TheAntKing and thosaka like this

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted March 12 2017 - 4:20 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I'm guessing it is Lasius neoniger. I have like 20 L. neoniger, pretty easy to recognize. 

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 12 2017 - 4:25 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I cannot see hairs on the antennal scapes, but the mandibles, time of year, and size point to Lasius neoniger.

• Cindy likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 12 2017 - 4:43 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I cannot see hairs on the antennal scapes, but the mandibles, time of year, and size point to Lasius neoniger.

I mainly focused on getting good images of her mandibles when I photographed her; I can take better pictures of her antennal scapes if it would make identification easier.

• TheAntKing likes this

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 12 2017 - 4:57 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I mainly focused on getting good images of her mandibles when I photographed her; I can take better pictures of her antennal scapes if it would make identification easier.

I really don't think this is Lasius alienus, but having no hairs on the scapes is how you distinguish that species from L. pallitarsis and L. neoniger.

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 12 2017 - 4:57 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 12 2017 - 6:31 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I really don't think this is Lasius alienus, but having no hairs on the scapes is how you distinguish that species from L. pallitarsis and L. neoniger.

I see. So how do you distinguish between L. Pillitarsis and L. neoniger?

• TheAntKing likes this

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 12 2017 - 7:38 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I see. So how do you distinguish between L. Pillitarsis and L. neoniger?

Lasius neoniger has seven teeth on its mandibles which tend to alternate in size. Lasius pallitarsis has those seven teeth also, but their basal tooth (the one furthest up the mandible) is usually higher up, at an odd angle, or is so reduced that it appears to be absent.

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 12 2017 - 7:38 PM.

----

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 13 2017 - 2:40 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
The large size and darkish color yells niger-group, the absence of an offset basal tooth eliminates pallitarsis, and no erect hairs on the scape point to Lasius neoniger.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 13 2017 - 2:41 AM.

#9 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 13 2017 - 6:29 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Lasius neoniger
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 13 2017 - 7:07 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The large size and darkish color yells niger-group, the absence of an offset basal tooth eliminates pallitarsis, and no erect hairs on the scape point to Lasius neoniger.

No erect hairs points to Lasius alienus, but I think this is a feature of the photograph and not the ant.

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 13 2017 - 7:07 AM.

----

#11 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 13 2017 - 7:31 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Ok I will go with another WAG, but I do think it is Lasius neoniger. I bet that Void caught it when she was hibernating.

YJK

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 13 2017 - 8:30 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Ok I will go with another WAG, but I do think it is Lasius neoniger. I bet that Void caught it when she was hibernating.

She was not hibernating. She was walking on a trail, presumably searching for a spot to establish a founding chamber.

No erect hairs points to Lasius alienus, but I think this is a feature of the photograph and not the ant.

I can take some better pictures this afternoon when I get home, let me know what parts of the ant I should prioritize capturing in high quality.

• TheAntKing likes this

#13 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 13 2017 - 10:33 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Whoops. That was what I meant.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 13 2017 - 2:41 PM.

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 13 2017 - 3:22 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Exactly, Void. She probably was looking to dig her chamber after she was in hibernation.

YJK

#15 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 13 2017 - 3:28 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Exactly, Void. She probably was looking to dig her chamber after she was in hibernation.

Actually, Lasius neoniger usually dig their claustral cells before cold-season. I Believe he means he found her before hibernation   :yes:

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 13 2017 - 5:45 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The queen was collected in September, which is a common time for these ants to fly. ;)

----

#17 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 13 2017 - 6:36 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

The queen was collected in September, which is a common time for these ants to fly. ;)

Oh oopsies :blush: didn't read too carefully

• Nathant2131 likes this

YJK

#18 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:13 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

So just to clarify, we've pretty much eliminated L. pillisartis as an option; the lack of an offset basal tooth is an indication of either alienus or neoniger. I can take some more detailed photos of her antennal scapes to try to locate any erect hairs, if that would help.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

• Nathant2131 and TheAntKing like this

#19 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:16 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

So just to clarify, we've pretty much eliminated L. pillisartis as an option; the lack of an offset basal tooth is an indication of either alienus or neoniger. I can take some more detailed photos of her antennal scapes to try to locate any erect hairs, if that would help.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Correct. Getting some shots of the scape with light is what is the desicion maker of the two leftover species.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niger group, flavus group, neoniger, nearcticus, pillisartis, alienus, flavus, lasius, lasius id, lasius queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users