From 3:30-6:00 PM on April 11 2017, I caught 8 queens all on the grass of my backyard (Dracut, MA) during either a modest flight, or the tail end of a larger one. All were wingless sept' for one. The majority of my queens were caught at 4 and 5, and the temperature was generally mid to high 80s F. The first queen I found had a chunk of it's gaster missing, and it appears to be dying now.
After the queens being in their temporary collection test tubes outside for a couple hours, I finally created glass test tube setups for them and shook each queen into their new tubes. I noticed they can be coaxed into tubes easily, however are very grippy and good climbers. Overall, they are relatively sporatic in terms of movement.
Since we had the windows open on the hot day, it is still high seventies in my room as I speak, but when it cools down the general consensus will be high sixties, which appears to be what suits this species best. I have coded each Specimen:
Prenolepis imparis 1
Prenolepis imparis 2
Prenolepis imparis 3
Prenolepis imparis 4 (Injured)
Prenolepis imparis 5
Prenolepis imparis 6 (Winged)
Prenolepis imparis 7
Prenolepis imparis 8
They are under my bed in the same plastic container my Lasius social parasites are in.
Now, this species has not been kept much it appears. Some say fridge them for the summer, do nothing for the summer and treat them like any commonly kept species, don't hibernate them, etc. etc. What I will be doing is keeping them at high sixties for the entire Spring-Summer-Fall Period, and hibernating them like any normal ant for hibernation. If I catch more (Which I am almost certain I will), I may do some experimenting and see who does best in certain conditions.
It will be very interesting how these do.
Edited by Nathant2131, August 3 2019 - 11:33 AM.