• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Making Formicariums out of Silicone rubber

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Siddharth - Posted April 2 2017 - 1:52 AM

Siddharth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMumbai-India
On Youtube I saw a guy making a food-grade mould for chocolates using legos and Silicone rubber and that got me thinking:
Could you make an ant formicarium using Silicone rubber?
My idea for such a setup is as follows:
1. Use a lego baseplate and blocks to make a square mould and use lego pieces to shape tunnels.
2. Make a Silicone mould of this using the Silicone rubber and let it cure
3. Make holes for connectors ant testtubes.
4. Punch several tiny holes in a certain area of the mould using a small pin (these will be for water and humidity)
5. Cast a similar sized mould but this time make it hollow for the hydration media.
Place the wet hydration media in the reservoir and set the formicarium on top of it
6. Stick a sheet of glass over the Formicarium to prevent ants escaping.

Is this a good idea for an ant setup? What are the possible cons of such a setup? I'd love to find out if this is a viable option or not before investing in making one of these.

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted April 2 2017 - 1:55 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany

Many ant species would chew through that in no-time.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2017 - 3:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, unfortunately it would not work. This is what my Acromyrmex did to my silicone plugs.

med_gallery_2_281_413008.jpg

• Shareallicu likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users