• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Founding Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:10 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I plan on keeping Camponotus, Tetramorium, and Lasius Neoniger. The problem is I just read a thread about all the negatives of a test tube set up and the positives of a naturalistic founding formicarium. Does anyone have any purchasable recommendations for founding formicariums with an outworld attached? I took a look at the THA's Mini Hearth and it looked amazing, but it had a large flaw which was $30 for one, when I want to buy a bunch. I can afford it, but I would rather be more wise with my money placement. I am completely incompetent as far as creativity and craftsmanship, so I unfortunately doubt I can create anything on par with what is on the market right now. So my question is what founding formicariums would you recommend?

Thank you to everyone who can assist me!

Edited by antking117, March 30 2017 - 11:15 PM.

#2 Offline NZAntKeeper - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:12 PM

NZAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
What about those THAs atom formicariums I think you can select an option which adds on an outworld?

My Youtube Channel
https://m.youtube.co...R--GtDfJdaJjWpQ

Species I have kept or are keeping
-Nylanderia sp?
-Pheidole sp
-Pachycondyla Castanea (I didn't catch the queen sadly)
-Monomorium Antarcticum
-Iridomyrmex sp
-Ochetellus Glaber

-Amblyopone Australis

#3 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 30 2017 - 11:14 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

What about those THAs atom formicariums I think you can select an option which adds on an outworld?

I read that you would like about 40-50 workers before moving to a regular formicarium, so I feel that means I'd need a much larger founding formicarium than the atoms? Or have I got some misleading information?

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 31 2017 - 2:34 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I read that you would like about 40-50 workers before moving to a regular formicarium, so I feel that means I'd need a much larger founding formicarium than the atoms? Or have I got some misleading information?
Well this depends on the formicarium's size. A small atom nest will be able to house a very young colony and maybe even a lone queen herself. Test tubes are probably the way to go, but it won't hurt to try something else.

Also, good luck with Lasius neoniger. They are my favorite species.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 31 2017 - 2:35 AM.

#5 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 31 2017 - 2:35 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Well this depends on the formicarium's size. A small atom nest will be able to house a very young colony and maybe even a lone queen herself.

Any tips ;)

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 31 2017 - 2:39 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Well this depends on the formicarium's size. A small atom nest will be able to house a very young colony and maybe even a lone queen herself.
Any tips ;)

Don't have many tips. Just took mine out of hibernation earlier this month. I keep them at low-mid seventies F with a heat cable and at least 4 of my queens have laid some eggs. I have 13 in all. Quite hardy and easy to keep this far. Checking in them tomorrow.

My Lasius journal is in my signature (My Ants)

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 31 2017 - 6:25 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I would recommend making your own. Also, test tubes don't have many flaws. My two Lasius neoniger are doing fabulous in tubes.

YJK

#8 Offline Jelly - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:37 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would recommend making your own. Also, test tubes don't have many flaws. My two Lasius neoniger are doing fabulous in tubes.

I second this, the THA mini hearth is going to be the closest thing to what you're asking for and the only thing cheaper is making your own.

Here's a thread that shows how to make THA style formicariums: http://www.formicult...ototype-update/

#9 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:52 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I have a small colony of Myrmecocystus Mimicus in a THA atom C (which i believe is the largest atom). I put her in there as a lone queen and she has been doing very well in it. they have smaller versions (a and b for various size species). The colony is roughly 30-40 workers at this point.

Edited by XZero38, March 31 2017 - 7:52 AM.

#10 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:07 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I was a user of the bead boxes. There are many different styles/variations out there: bead box

And test tubes to confirm fertility until transferring to a formicarium. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users