• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Please - March 29, Culp Valley Natural Preserve

Best Answer dspdrew , March 31 2017 - 11:05 AM

I was trying to see if the maxillary palps were long enough. I think that's probably Myrmecocystus testaceus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 30 2017 - 2:00 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA

Hi everyone,

I thought this might be a m. mimicus again, but it's more of a reddish dark brown color.  It's about 9mm and I found it in it's founding chamber in the Culp Valley Natural Preserve.  The temperature was about 85 degrees.

Unknown%20Queen%201.jpg

Thank you in advance!

#2 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 30 2017 - 5:43 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Anyone??? I'm dying from the suspense!

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted March 30 2017 - 5:53 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Erm... isn't it against the law to remove organisms from nature preserves? If it isn't please correct me.

I think it's Prenolepis imparis.

Edited by Martialis, March 30 2017 - 5:54 PM.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 30 2017 - 6:08 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I am pretty sure it isn't Mart... Drew and Nurbs get some of their ants from Joshua Tree. 

I think it is a Myrmecocystus mimicus.

YJK

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted March 30 2017 - 7:01 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I am pretty sure it isn't Mart... Drew and Nurbs get some of their ants from Joshua Tree. 

I think it is a Myrmecocystus mimicus.

I heard they got it from around but not in the park. M. mimicus was my second guess. I couldn't see the maxillary palps.

Spoiler

#6 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 30 2017 - 7:51 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Erm... isn't it against the law to remove organisms from nature preserves? If it isn't please correct me.

Um, honestly I don't know.  The only signs posted were No Shooting or Camping.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 30 2017 - 8:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pretty sure that is true. That's why I don't go to parks or preserves. I go very close sometimes, but I make sure I'm outside the boundaries.

@SoySauce

Can you get a picture from the side?

• gcsnelling and Martialis like this

#8 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:48 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Here are some more pictures Drew:

She laid eggs already!

Unknown%20Queen%205.jpg

Unknown%20Queen%204.jpg

Unknown%20Queen%203.jpg

Unknown%20Queen%202.jpg

#9 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:52 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

"The CDFW Lands Viewer provides geospatial data about the CDFW's lands and facilities. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife manages over 1,000,000 acres of fish and wildlife habitat and these properties provide many opportunities for the public to hunt, fish, watch wildlife and learn about nature. Come visit and explore a wildlife area or ecological reserve near you!'

Taken from:

https://www.wildlife...places-to-visit

That list was all CA Reserves so I assume you can collect ants if you can hunt and fish in them.

#10 Offline Cindy - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:58 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

"The CDFW Lands Viewer provides geospatial data about the CDFW's lands and facilities. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife manages over 1,000,000 acres of fish and wildlife habitat and these properties provide many opportunities for the public to hunt, fish, watch wildlife and learn about nature. Come visit and explore a wildlife area or ecological reserve near you!'

Taken from:

That list was all CA Reserves so I assume you can collect ants if you can hunt and fish in them.

You need a license to do those things. That being said I was unable to find any information about collecting ants 

• dermy likes this

#11 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 9:05 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Taken from:

You need a license to do those things. That being said I was unable to find any information about collecting ants 

Well, I have them both so I guess I'm covered for hunting ants.

#12 Offline Cindy - Posted March 31 2017 - 9:21 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

LOL. I am sure that there are specifications on the hunting license (like, it's not like you can hunt any endangered species or when it's not hunting season). I found some more info online and apparently there is a "blanket permit" available for collecting insects and plants (the CSCA has one). You could email the California Department of Parks and Recreation or the National Parks Service to make sure you are 100% covered. 

https://www.cdfa.ca....tate_parks.html

#13 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 9:38 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I've actually talked to a couple of State Park Rangers while looking for queens and they were more inquisitive than anything.

#14 Offline Cindy - Posted March 31 2017 - 9:51 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

I've actually talked to a couple of State Park Rangers while looking for queens and they were more inquisitive than anything.

That's interesting but it doesn't answer the underlying question lol. Maybe someone else will have an answer because I am unable to find one.

#15 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 10:00 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Sure, maybe you can create a new thread to discuss. I'd just like Drew to ID my ant in this one :)

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2017 - 11:05 AM   Best Answer

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was trying to see if the maxillary palps were long enough. I think that's probably Myrmecocystus testaceus.

#17 Offline Martialis - Posted March 31 2017 - 11:18 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It's Myrmecocystus.

Spoiler

#18 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 12:45 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Thanks for the ID all, Drew.

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 31 2017 - 4:49 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Enforcement varies from state park to state park and state to state, For example if you are caught collecting in Anza Borrego State Park in California, they will lock you up until the end of time. They take enforcement very seriously. In general California state parks are no collect zones. On the other hand I have collected with no issue in State parks in Arizona. The best policy is to avoid any and all parks, however if you just have to collect in a park check with the rangers or park staff. If they say it's ok the go for it ( maybe ask for permission in writing), but if they say it is not then don't period. Not only can you be cited you give entomologists or other researchers a bad name.

• Cindy likes this

#20 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 31 2017 - 5:24 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

For example if you are caught collecting in Anza Borrego State Park in California, they will lock you up until the end of time.
Yikes! Can you imagine if that actually happened, what your conversation in prison would be like?

Inmate 1: what you in here for? I got life on a bs charge of arson and murder because I liked setting fires and someone was in a warehouse and died when I set it on fire.
Inmate 2: I got life cuz I was a cartel hitman and killed over 100 rival gang members.
Inmate 3: I was California's largest cocaine smuggler.
Inmate 4: I got life because I collected a queen ant at Anna Borrego State Park in California.

SILENCE

Inmate 1: what does that mean? You were a sex trafficer of gay dudes and got caught on federal land?
Inmate 4: no I like watching and raising ants...the insects...and I got life because I collected one in a State park without knowing the rules
Inmates 1-3: what the f??!

Lol :)

Edited by SoySauce, March 31 2017 - 5:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users