• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID (Camponotus semitestaceus) (Cleveland National Forest, Orange County, CA) (5-20-2013)

Morgan Trail Cleveland National Forest Orange County California San Mateo Wilderness San Mateo Canyon Camponotus semitestaceus dspdrew ant id

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 6:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Location:  Morgan Trail, Cleveland National Forest, Orange County, California.
Habitat:  Chaparral/Oak forest.
Coloration, hue and pattern:  Brownish red head, amber thorax and legs, mixed amber and brownish red gaster, with more amber towards the thorax
Length:  8mm.

gallery_2_56_21191.jpg

gallery_2_56_54593.jpg

gallery_2_56_38988.jpg

gallery_2_56_30247.jpg

gallery_2_56_67867.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 6:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Most likely Camponotus semitestaceus according to Dr. James Trager.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 13 2014 - 8:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

About two months ago, I noticed what looked like a C. semitestaceus nest right in the same location where I found this ant wandering around. Last week, I was back there again, and this time collected a worker as it wandered out of the nest in the middle of the day for some reason. It's pretty much the same color as this original one, a color of Camponotus I rarely see in the Santa Ana Mountains. So with that fact in mind, I also checked the GPS of both specimens, and they were in the exact same spot, so this new specimen is clearly from the same colony as the originally posted one.

Here's some better pictures of the new specimen and the nest.

gallery_2_56_77793.jpg

gallery_2_56_43826.jpg

gallery_2_56_79261.jpg

gallery_2_56_23181.jpg

Nest

gallery_2_56_81064.jpg

These pictures clearly show flatted antennal scapes at the base, so I think this is definitely C. semitestaceus... unless of course, that isn't the only species that has that feature. Anybody know if this is true or not?

#4 Offline uso - Posted April 20 2014 - 10:14 PM

uso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Unfortunately, I really can't answer that question, I'm just too out of practice. I haven't done ants in years. But that pinned ant is a really elegant specimen there! I also love the tips, I'm envious of your collecting skills.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2014 - 4:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, thanks. As you can see I got a nice microscope now that I didn't have before.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Morgan Trail, Cleveland National Forest, Orange County, California, San Mateo Wilderness, San Mateo Canyon, Camponotus semitestaceus, dspdrew, ant id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users