• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heading to the Desert Tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted March 27 2017 - 9:07 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I will report what I find at Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Some myrmecocystus mexicanus would be nice, but I have low expectations, I am expecting to not find any queens. I'll bring back alot of pictures. Hopefully I don't get stranded and die like the two tourists in Joshua Park.

Edited by Tagassi, March 27 2017 - 9:08 PM.

• SoySauce and Jelly like this

#2 Offline Vanko - Posted March 27 2017 - 10:14 PM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
Post some photos !!

Edited by Vanko, March 27 2017 - 10:15 PM.

😛 🐜 😛

#3 Offline Jelly - Posted March 28 2017 - 7:25 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good luck!

#4 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 28 2017 - 7:42 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA

Good luck!!!  I'm going out tomorrow too.  I'm planning to start at Cleveland National Forest and work my way up northeast into the desert too.  I'm a bit concerned about how windy it is today though.  If there were any small dirt mounds at the founding chambers, they're sure to have already blown away.

The wind is supposed to die down later today though.  I hope those queens get busy digging tonight!

#5 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 29 2017 - 5:48 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Any luck today? There was nothing at Cleveland National Forest although I saw a lot more variety of ants today. I headed towards the desert and saw some amazing views. I stopped by this place:

2017032918383469-1FCD8546-5840-4598-87BD

I found this:

2017032918383469-0929A74D-1CA6-4034-8BE2

Sorry about the bad picture and lighting. She hactually has a bit of red tint to her Andy I guesstimate that Shea's around 8-10mm. I'll ask for a proper ID when I get home. I'm gonna spend the night in Palm desert and maybe hit Joshua tree tomorrow.
  • thosaka likes this

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 29 2017 - 5:52 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Looks like Myrmecocystus to me

YJK

#7 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 29 2017 - 9:41 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I didn't see anything today : | they were all hiding away

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 29 2017 - 11:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I found this:

2017032918383469-0929A74D-1CA6-4034-8BE2

Sorry about the bad picture and lighting. She hactually has a bit of red tint to her Andy I guesstimate that Shea's around 8-10mm. I'll ask for a proper ID when I get home. I'm gonna spend the night in Palm desert and maybe hit Joshua tree tomorrow.

Nice. Where exactly did you find that, and did you dig her out of a founding chamber?

#9 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 30 2017 - 5:07 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I found her at the Culp Valley Natural Perserve off of Montezuma Valley Road. It was at a pretty high elevation up in the mountains, right before you go down into the Borrego Springs. And I found her in her founding chamber.

I think they flew awhile ago though. It was pretty lucky that I found her. I just saw a small mound with no hole. I think she plugged herself up. I just randomly dug it because it seemed like a founding chamber mound. The location was a good one though. I saw plenty of ants there and don't quote me but they seemed like they were all different types of honeypots. I didn't see any v. pergandei like the lower desert, no harvesters, fire ants, or any other types.

The drive down the mountain is beautiful too. You can see the Salton Sea off in the distance. That's another great aspect of anting. I'm seeing and experiencing parts of California I would've have never otherwise done.

#10 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 30 2017 - 5:13 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
So many flowers too. I've never seen the desert so colorful.

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg
  • dspdrew, Cindy and thosaka like this

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 30 2017 - 6:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice pictures. Yeah, that queen probably flew back during that slight heatwave we had a couple weeks ago. They must not be digging too deep up there.

#12 Offline thosaka - Posted April 1 2017 - 9:29 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I saw the exact same orange bugs you did soysauce. Looks like we were in the same area alright.

• SoySauce likes this

#13 Offline Vanko - Posted April 2 2017 - 4:59 AM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
Very good photos 👍🏼
😛 🐜 😛

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users