• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has Anybody Used A Grow Tent?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted March 17 2017 - 4:44 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I was looking at insect growth chambers, and almost all of them were from 6,000 dollars to 24,000 dollars. So I looked for other alternatives and found a hydroponic grow tent, which costs 45 dollars. Has anybody ever used one of these?

https://www.thelasho...QmmIBoCQ_rw_wcB

Using a heat lamp or heating cable within this grow tent may be an ideal option to keeping a certain humidity and or temperature. What do you guys think? What are your insight?

#2 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:04 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

We still talking about ants? Though it is legal in california now.. rofl

• thosaka likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#3 Offline Reacker - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:09 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I've been known to grow a tent now and then. 

• Zeiss, dermy and thosaka like this

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:21 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I used to grow tropical Nepenthes in a grow tent in an unheated basement with a 250W halide lights, misters and humidifying unit.  I could keep conditions very very stable.   I never had to heat it as I cycled the light output thru the built in vents to keep it hot during the day, then at night would gradually cool off.  I used an ultrasonic mister (used for fountains), and a water resistant fan to keep the humidity stable.  Worked very very well until I moved, and they died from the shock  :(

mgNYaDO.pngjTjlEjb.jpg

Anyways...  It's an interesting idea as very dark *when closed*, and if you had a heater with a thermostat, I bet the humidity and temps would be pretty stable.  The vents would allow you to pass tubing for outworlds external to it as well.   For minuses, it's probably going to be a bit flimsy, and every time you open/close the zippered flap, it's going to annoy the ants from the movement from all the shaking. If you have any little kids or pets, especially a dog, it will get banged around... Also insides are super reflective, so opening it up, and light that strays in will be reflected a lot.

For the price it couldn't hurt for an experiment, but I'm personally going the sturdy cabinet route this summer.

Edited by noebl1, March 17 2017 - 6:26 PM.

• thosaka likes this

#5 Offline thosaka - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:27 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

We still talking about ants? Though it is legal in california now.. rofl

Haha. Let's just hope the swat team doesn't burst in.

#6 Offline thosaka - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:31 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I used to grow tropical Nepenthes in a grow tent in an unheated basement with a 250W halide lights, misters and humidifying unit.  I could keep conditions very very stable.   I never had to heat it as I cycled the light output thru the built in vents to keep it hot during the day, then at night would gradually cool off.  I used an ultrasonic mister (used for fountains), and a water resistant fan to keep the humidity stable.  Worked very very well until I moved, and they died from the shock  :(

mgNYaDO.pngjTjlEjb.jpg

Anyways...  It's an interesting idea as very dark *when closed*, and if you had a heater with a thermostat, I bet the humidity and temps would be pretty stable.  The vents would allow you to pass tubing for outworlds external to it as well.   For minuses, it's probably going to be a bit flimsy, and every time you open/close the zippered flap, it's going to annoy the ants from the movement from all the shaking. If you have any little kids or pets, especially a dog, it will get banged around... Also insides are super reflective, so opening it up, and light that strays in will be reflected a lot.

For the price it couldn't hurt for an experiment, but I'm personally going the sturdy cabinet route this summer.

Got it. Thank you for your insight. I don't have any pets or kids, but I will have to be very careful with opening it. I may have to cover the test tubes to block the reflective lights. Would the heat escape through the holes?

Edited by Tagassi, March 20 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:33 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've been known to grow a tent now and then.

Is that considered a woody or herbaceous plant? Do you have photos for a proper ID?
  • Reacker and dermy like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:43 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Got it. Thank you for your insights. I don't have any pets or kids, but I will have to be very carefully with opening it. I may have to cover the test tubes to block the reflective lights. Would the heat escape through the holes?

The cords when pulled tight close reasonably well, plus you probably could zip tie them shut if you really wanted too.  This smaller one has less vents, and I think it has side vents that velcro shut, so not a big deal there either. If anything you could find it running a bit warm and stale (especially if you had a heater) and may need a fan to vent.  

• thosaka likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users