• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hooray, got my lasius niger today!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kjarva - Posted March 17 2017 - 7:28 AM

kjarva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Set up my formicarium and opened the test tube but the ants have not liked that one bit! They've got a sand / loam formicarium with built in outworld and for the last few hours they have been running into the formicarium, grabbing a bit of sand and then running back to the test tube and dropping it at the entrance to try and plug it up. It's been pretty amusing to watch them build their wall grain by grain.

• Nathant2131 and thosaka like this

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted March 17 2017 - 7:39 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationGermany

They do not hate your formicarium, this is completely normal behaviour. Your ants just don't want to live in a cabriolet so they make the entrance smaller which does not only keep humidity at higher levels inside the tube (good for the larvae so they don't dry out) but also allows them to better defend their nest if it gets attacked. They will move into the nest (provided it's moisturized appropriately) in a few weeks when they feel confident enough for such a huge home.

Also Lasius niger queens have a reputation for being very stubborn when it comes to moving to a new place.

• drtrmiller and Nathant2131 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline kjarva - Posted March 17 2017 - 9:02 AM

kjarva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm happy to wait - I just found it highly amusing that they have been so industrious today and are actually making awesome progress on their wall since this morning. I have no doubt by tomorrow night they will have it almost fully plugged again. It's amazing how huge the queen is in comparison to the little workers, she's like godzilla. She has had a stomp up to the entrance of the tube a few times today I hoped each time she may poke her head out to investigate but no such luck so far.

• thosaka likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users