• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

idea for formicarium

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jelly - Posted March 16 2017 - 8:54 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok, so my bro found one of these at a thrift store for like $1 and he bought it. I cleaned out all of the green gel and was thinking of turning it into a formicarum since it has a little light built into it. Anyone have any ideas as what substrate i should use or how to keep it hydrated? I own a dremel so keep that in mind. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

61E36Nv38GL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Jelly, March 16 2017 - 8:54 PM.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 17 2017 - 1:03 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I would personally use perlite, which is available in any home and garden store or on Amazon (http://amzn.to/2nguJfN). Perlite retains moisture well, and you can filter out select particle sizes that are very large, so it is excellent for observation.

Uncle Milton ant farms use perlite.
  • Jelly likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 17 2017 - 4:52 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

PTantfan uses the exact same shape of a glass vase. I started to but had issues. 

Check out his journal with it. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline Jelly - Posted March 17 2017 - 7:45 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Should i have to wash the perlite with water before using?

I looked up the journal, the base on mine has a light so i can't drill into it to add water like PTantfan does.

I need a way to keep hydrated. :thinking:

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 17 2017 - 8:24 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I went the same route initially. I mean bought the same $6 glass vase and all. I OVER hydrated, which is why I'm not suggesting the method I went with.. (drill in the bottom and sitting in a tray of water). Ehh...or just do it and just have it constantly in water. I flooded things....hardcore.... Drew has some rather successful (sometimes :P) cylinder colonies. 

• Jelly likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 17 2017 - 6:34 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I would fit it with a mesh lid to encourage good ventilation.

Maybe use a pipette and water one side of the perlite with a few MLs of water twice a week (depends on the size of that thing).

I would use a spade bit to gently hand drill a hole in the side and then fit the hole with some PVC tubing  Then, if your ants outgrow the container or the container becomes inhospitable, they have the option of going to an alternative setup (assuming you have one).

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 17 2017 - 6:35 PM.

• Jelly and thosaka like this
~Dan

#7 Offline Jelly - Posted March 21 2017 - 12:58 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would fit it with a mesh lid to encourage good ventilation.

Maybe use a pipette and water one side of the perlite with a few MLs of water twice a week (depends on the size of that thing).

I would use a spade bit to gently hand drill a hole in the side and then fit the hole with some PVC tubing  Then, if your ants outgrow the container or the container becomes inhospitable, they have the option of going to an alternative setup (assuming you have one).

Thanks! a mesh lid is great idea - i can probably just cut a center hole in this lid and replace with mesh so it fits snug.

The container is small maybe only 4" in diameter and with that center part only 1/2" or so of space between walls and center.

If i fill the entire thing with perlite, where would i hydrate it? 

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 23 2017 - 8:24 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I would just use a pipette to pour in a few MLs of water right at the top sorta like you're barely watering a small plant (but I'd only try to water on one side so as to create natural a moisture gradient).  Of course, you'd need to use the correct amount of water, but I honestly don't have any advice on how to perfect that.

• Jelly likes this
~Dan

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 23 2017 - 11:08 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The container is small maybe only 4" in diameter and with that center part only 1/2" or so of space between walls and center.

You obviously haven't read though my thread.

#10 Offline Jelly - Posted March 23 2017 - 11:52 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Which thread? I've been reading through your research threads - thanks btw very detailed and helpful. 

There are so many of them, can you link what youre referring to?

#11 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 23 2017 - 9:55 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Which thread? I've been reading through your research threads - thanks btw very detailed and helpful. 

Maybe he meant http://www.formicult...ated-3-19-2017/

• Jelly likes this

#12 Offline Jelly - Posted March 24 2017 - 9:22 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe he meant http://www.formicult...ated-3-19-2017/

Thanks

I've read through that one before, maybe I'm missing something.

This container has the center thing already in place, i cannot remove it or cut it out without compromising the outer case.

So far I've been leaning towards a piece of hydrostone or ceramic along the bottom with a tube up to the top. 

Still toying with ideas though, and materials are in shipping right now so I'm gonna think on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users