• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Palomar Mountain View In Case You Go There

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted March 15 2017 - 11:06 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Let's just say the outcome wasn't great, but I did gain an overall understanding of the types of ants that were present on the trail I was walking on and an overall understanding of the difference between a major worker and a queen anatomically. I left around 1:30 PM and got there around 2:40 PM. I had a lot of trouble finding founding chambers that was in the dirt going 3 miles down Chimney Flats Trail. Most of the ants were coming from trees, and lots of them. I decided to flip over some logs and barks to see if there were any queens hiding within or underneath it, but no luck either. If I did find any holes in the dirt that had some dirt around it, it either came out empty or had worker ants a little more smaller than the ones from the trees, but no queen. I also went to the observatory by accident, and decided to look for ants around the observatory, but no luck. I also went to the campsite of Palomar Mountain, and there were many wooden tables and barbecue grill. There were a lot of the same ants I saw from the tree. I found many founding chamber at the campsite, but the ants all were extremely small. It was 7 p.m at the time I decided to go back to this parking spot halfway up the mountain that I passed earlier that I stumbled upon some huge ants, which turned out to be majors of most likely camponotus, but the 2 holes that they were coming out from were extremely hard like concrete since it was in front of a parking lot so I couldn't dig in. Quite a spot they picked because it sure was in their favor. I also setup a UV light against a sheet and had a lot of moths coming in, but no queens. I went home afterwards.

Overall, although Cleveland National Forest is connected to Palomar Mountain, I had a better outcome in Cleveland National Forest, not to mention, they all turned out to be honeypot queens and the founding chambers were all in the same spot and it was within soft dirt I could dig into. I am amazed at how even with the two places connected, the type of species changes drastically. So, from my experience, I believe there are more honeypot queens and more ants residing in dirt than in trees in Cleveland National Forest than in Palomar Mountain. I don't think I will be heading back to Palomar Mountain unless someone else can convince me otherwise. My next target will be Anza Borrego Desert State park. I hope this helps.

BsOOjGZ.jpg

6qESK93.jpg

jJBdB7m.jpg

7hqt73j.jpg

iaIgeQN.jpg

D8fpeJW.jpg

INxWcoW.jpg

YYtLXkJ.jpg

XB5GZLA.jpg

YH3V8nw.jpg

DRDuGma.jpg

odAqFnO.jpg

Edited by Tagassi, March 15 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2017 - 11:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's too cold at that elevation for anything to fly yet. There's even snow in the forecast for next Wednesday. FYI: You might run into trouble setting up a black light in a State park. The government will freak out about stuff like that.

• thosaka likes this

#3 Offline thosaka - Posted March 15 2017 - 11:49 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

It's too cold at that elevation for anything to fly yet. There's even snow in the forecast for next Wednesday. FYI: You might run into trouble setting up a black light in a State park. The government will freak out about stuff like that.

Got it. Yeah, I guess I was too high up there compared to Cleveland National Forest. I'll try Cleveland National Forest again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users