• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone with really large ant colonies?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 11 2017 - 4:48 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Does anyone else have very large colonies like this one I found on YouTube?  My colonies are all pretty young and small by comparison.

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 12 2017 - 1:39 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this
~Dan

#2 Offline thosaka - Posted March 11 2017 - 8:42 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

5 workers here. I gotta say, that tube setup against the wall is nice.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 11 2017 - 8:54 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Last year, I had captured a Monomorium emarginatum colony in order to conduct my research upon. It had 26 queens and 13,000 workers. I had kept it for 6 months before releasing it back into to the wild, on account of it suffering from severe stress due to being kept in captivity.

• thosaka likes this

#4 Offline thosaka - Posted March 11 2017 - 9:22 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Last year, I had captured a Monomorium emarginatum colony in order to conduct my research upon. It had 26 queens and 13,000 workers. I had kept it for 6 months before releasing it back into to the wild, on account of it suffering from severe stress due to being kept in captivity.

You got quite a heart. 26 queens 13,000 workers is unbelievable. It seems like your legacy will continue on forever, the 26 queens you bred will become 100, 200, 300, and on and on. Did the queens form from the same colony and how?

Edited by Tagassi, March 11 2017 - 9:23 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 11 2017 - 10:31 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I haven't taken pictures of them in a long time, but my Acromyrmex versicolor colony is growing nicely. It isn't like in the video, but they have LOTS of brood. I'd say they have probably a couple thousand workers.

I have Pogonomyrmex sp (probably californicus) with two queens, and later this year hopefully I'll be able to add more. Last year I gave my friend a colony of the same Pogonomyrmex species, with seven queens. All the queens lived together for three months until Argentine ants invaded his house and room, meaning dead Pogonomyrmex. But, I'm not aware of any multi-queened Pogonomyrmex, so it must be really rare. I also think they've been inbreeding in the local area they are in (which may result in all the colonies getting along with each other). Its a very small area, and the sand in most places is only 6 inches deep at most until it hits concrete.

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 11 2017 - 10:45 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

You got quite a heart. 26 queens 13,000 workers is unbelievable. It seems like your legacy will continue on forever, the 26 queens you bred will become 100, 200, 300, and on and on. Did the queens form from the same colony and how?

Thank you!!! To be honest though, we no very little about there biology and behavior. I wouldn't be able to tell you, but I hope that my research on colony formation will someday allow me too.

#7 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 12 2017 - 1:38 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I should mention that the colony in the video was not mine.  I simply found it and was jealous.   :)

~Dan

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 12 2017 - 1:43 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I haven't taken pictures of them in a long time, but my Acromyrmex versicolor colony is growing nicely. It isn't like in the video, but they have LOTS of brood. I'd say they have probably a couple thousand workers.

I have Pogonomyrmex sp (probably californicus) with two queens, and later this year hopefully I'll be able to add more. Last year I gave my friend a colony of the same Pogonomyrmex species, with seven queens. All the queens lived together for three months until Argentine ants invaded his house and room, meaning dead Pogonomyrmex. But, I'm not aware of any multi-queened Pogonomyrmex, so it must be really rare. I also think they've been inbreeding in the local area they are in (which may result in all the colonies getting along with each other). Its a very small area, and the sand in most places is only 6 inches deep at most until it hits concrete.

You've gotta post some pics/videos of that Acrmyrmex colony !!!  :D

~Dan

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 12 2017 - 6:36 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
He does in his journal. Vendayn's Acromyrmex versicolor journal.

YJK

#10 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 25 2017 - 7:05 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
Another video. Same species. These fly in such great numbers in el salvador that they're served as a food dish. They're about as large as C. pennsylvanicus.

~Dan

#11 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 25 2017 - 8:35 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

i think my new colony counts. its about 1000 strong

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#12 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 26 2017 - 4:05 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Any pics of the setup?

I actually don't know how to estimate colony sizes, so I couldn't even ballpark my own colonies.
~Dan

#13 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 26 2017 - 4:40 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Any pics of the setup?

I actually don't know how to estimate colony sizes, so I couldn't even ballpark my own colonies.

here's my journal about them with pics

http://www.formicult...-updated-32517/

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#14 Offline dermy - Posted March 27 2017 - 5:58 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

This was the largest Colony I've ever had from 2014-2016

And yes I know "Vertical Video Syndrome" haha

This was after my brother ripped their setup apart.

This was about the time they experienced a slow demise, that took place through the winter until when I woke them up in 2016 they just died a few weeks after [my brother got to them just like is the fate of almost all my ant colonies at some point]

• Martialis likes this

#15 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 27 2017 - 6:41 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

This was the largest Colony I've ever had from 2014-2016

And yes I know "Vertical Video Syndrome" haha

This was after my brother ripped their setup apart.

This was about the time they experienced a slow demise, that took place through the winter until when I woke them up in 2016 they just died a few weeks after [my brother got to them just like is the fate of almost all my ant colonies at some point]

How old is your brother? My guess is that he's very curious about the colonies because they're mysterious and you protect them. One alternative that sometimes works is to teach him all about your colonies to the extent that either they've become boring, or he understands and respects how delicate they are. Just a thought.

Fortunately, I've never had to salvage a broken colony before, but the time will come. I have a 3 yr old son.
~Dan

#16 Offline dermy - Posted March 27 2017 - 6:49 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

He was about 7 [9 now] when I took those videos, but he still gets into my colonies  if I leave them out long enough. I just try to keep them out of reach the best I can and prepare for them to get "messed with" that black container had some oil on it so they could not run all over when I was doing the save.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users