• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Set up for looking at founding queens? Would this work?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Shareallicu - Posted March 13 2017 - 6:56 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Ants not seeing red is a myth. My Camponotus can see red perfectly fine, they just get less stressed from it than from pure daylight.

Actually most (if not all) ants can see red but they do not react very strong to it, probably because they think they're still covered by vegetation (light under vegetation cover has a redshift but it's not visible for us).

I agree!  My Formica reacts to red light just like any other light.

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 13 2017 - 7:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I wouldn't overthink it at this stage. Did you plan on using some sort of dirt or substrate in those containers? If you do, you will have to bake the dirt to kill off an mites or bacteria. I know those C. sansabeanus are ground dwelling so they will dig, but that C. quercicola are tree dwelling and will not dig a founding chamber.

At this stage of the rearing process, it's just too much work. Using the tried and true standard test tube setup will work best.

The most important thing at this point is to keep everything sterile and clean. I re-use my test tubes and clean them by boiling them in water and then putting them in the oven at 400 deg for 10 min and then letting them air cool. Do not pour cold water on them while it is hot or the glass will crack.

Here is what I do with most species. I take sound dampening foam from Amazon and cut it in half. Not only do they cushion the test tubes when you move them around, but they fit the test tubes perfectly. You can then stack them.

doblD8y.jpg

uM5tBdX.jpg

YvdDeWX.jpg

UBIjn5I.jpg

p2w3UKA.jpg

Wow that looks like a better fit than the foam egg crate that I use.

• Kevin likes this

#23 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 13 2017 - 7:47 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I ended up buying a box + some red cellophane

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#24 Offline Kevin - Posted March 13 2017 - 7:48 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I wouldn't overthink it at this stage. Did you plan on using some sort of dirt or substrate in those containers? If you do, you will have to bake the dirt to kill off an mites or bacteria. I know those C. sansabeanus are ground dwelling so they will dig, but that C. quercicola are tree dwelling and will not dig a founding chamber.

At this stage of the rearing process, it's just too much work. Using the tried and true standard test tube setup will work best.

The most important thing at this point is to keep everything sterile and clean. I re-use my test tubes and clean them by boiling them in water and then putting them in the oven at 400 deg for 10 min and then letting them air cool. Do not pour cold water on them while it is hot or the glass will crack.

Here is what I do with most species. I take sound dampening foam from Amazon and cut it in half. Not only do they cushion the test tubes when you move them around, but they fit the test tubes perfectly. You can then stack them.

doblD8y.jpg

uM5tBdX.jpg

YvdDeWX.jpg

UBIjn5I.jpg

p2w3UKA.jpg

Wow that looks like a better fit than the foam egg crate that I use.

I agree, the lighter grey and triangle pattern looks a bit better than the regular corrugated foam.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#25 Offline JasonD - Posted March 13 2017 - 7:53 PM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I wouldn't overthink it at this stage. Did you plan on using some sort of dirt or substrate in those containers? If you do, you will have to bake the dirt to kill off an mites or bacteria. I know those C. sansabeanus are ground dwelling so they will dig, but that C. quercicola are tree dwelling and will not dig a founding chamber. 

Does the Styrofoam help keep the colonies warm, by trapping heat?  

It does, especially when there is a heating cable beneath the foam which also helps to spread the warmth. But preserving heat is not the main purpose of the foam. 

Heads up, the foam does not keep the colonies warm by trapping heat. The foam will thermally insulate the test tubes from the surrounding environment, but without any heat source inside the foam there won't be any excess heat to trap. This is assuming ants don't generate appreciable heat, which I think is right but I'm not a biologist. So don't rely solely on foam to keep your ants warm. It won't work.

That said the foam does look like a great set up, so thanks Nurbs!

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 13 2017 - 8:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The foam does a good job dampening any higher frequency vibrations.

#27 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 14 2017 - 5:53 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Ants not seeing red is a myth. My Camponotus can see red perfectly fine, they just get less stressed from it than from pure daylight.

Actually most (if not all) ants can see red but they do not react very strong to it, probably because they think they're still covered by vegetation (light under vegetation cover has a redshift but it's not visible for us).

I agree!  My Formica reacts to red light just like any other light.

It's a bit inconsistent across species.  Check out this article if you'd like more info: http://blog.wildabou...t-color-vision/

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 14 2017 - 5:54 PM.

~Dan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users