• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Collecting trap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 6 2017 - 10:15 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Flight intercept traps are a common and useful tool for passive sampling of an areas fauna. The down side of these old style traps is that many insects including most species of ant queen will drop to the ground instead of running up the trap when they encounter it.

Along comes a new style trap which is easy and inexpensive to construct  For our purposes though there will be a modification you need to make as with most traps of this sort they object is not to capture live specimens. So some creativity will be needed to come up with a way to collect them alive.  So without further delay at the following link # 83 is a discussion of this trap. Check it out.

http://museum.unl.ed...-Newsletter.htm

Edited by gcsnelling, March 6 2017 - 5:27 PM.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted March 6 2017 - 10:53 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Exploring, I found a few other handy traps that I could use for catching insects. I am going to have to try them out. Thanks for sharing.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 6 2017 - 11:29 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

The link does not work.

#4 Offline noobkeeper - Posted March 6 2017 - 11:47 AM

noobkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationItaly

The link does not work.

It does for me. You can directly go to the correct place by clicking this link http://museum.unl.ed...r/Scarabs83.pdf and scrolling down to page 15.

Doesn't look like a bad trap to me  :)

To improve it I guess you could put a black/UV light down where the pole is.

Edited by noobkeeper, March 6 2017 - 11:49 AM.

1x Tapinoma nigerrimum (4 queens) ~200 workers

9x Lasius sp. (founding)

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 6 2017 - 12:03 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

You could add a light, but this is more useful as a flight intercept trap rather than a black light trap. Black lights generally work better when used in conjunction with a sheet.

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted March 6 2017 - 1:42 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Pretty interesting.  Another thing I saw was this:

https://www.amazon.c...N01Y550QZK1R3N0

Perhaps it could be modified to trap queen ants?

Spoiler

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 6 2017 - 5:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The down side is that many insects including most species of ant queen will drop to the ground instead of running up the trap when they encounter it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Aren't the insects supposed to hit the trap and drop into a trough? What do you mean "instead of running up the trap"?

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 6 2017 - 5:26 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The down side is that many insects including most species of ant queen will drop to the ground instead of running up the trap when they encounter it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Aren't the insects supposed to hit the trap and drop into a trough? What do you mean "instead of running up the trap"?

In the case of standard malaise raps the insects hit the net and run upwards into a collecting chamber, ants typical drop to the ground instead. This trap takes that into account. It was designed by beetle guys who also have that trouble with standard malaise traps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users