• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecocystus hunting Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 3 2017 - 8:55 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Queens of many species are sure to fly this weekend, or so I'm guessing. My neighbor is digging up his parking lot and I happened to find a Myrmecocystus nest in the dig area I'm going to try to save. We found their nest while digging but I noticed a lot of Alates near the surface so I decided to stop digging there until after their flight, instead of destroying their nest. They seem to be very deep, so I'm concerned about not collecting the queen.  It just rained and then is starting to dry the top layer of soil. I feel like maybe the queen could be closer to the surface in these conditions? I've heard the founding chambers of newly flown queens of Myrmecocystus can also be very deep. Does anyone have any advice or tips on catching Myrmecocystus?

• soulsynapse likes this

#2 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 4 2017 - 12:11 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I don't have experience but I'm very interested as well!

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2017 - 1:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty cold all over Southern California, so I doubt anything will fly. I highly doubt you're going to find the queen digging up that colony too. As for founding chambers, the queen could be any depth. It depends on a lot of factors, mainly how long the queen has been digging for.

Just curious... Where is this honeypot ant colony, and what do they look like?

#4 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 4 2017 - 6:22 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty cold all over Southern California, so I doubt anything will fly. I highly doubt you're going to find the queen digging up that colony too. As for founding chambers, the queen could be any depth. It depends on a lot of factors, mainly how long the queen has been digging for.

Just curious... Where is this honeypot ant colony, and what do they look like?

#5 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 4 2017 - 6:24 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Sorry I'm still getting used to how this site works, sorry for my mess ups. The colony is in my literal front yard in the Trabuco canyon area. They are shiny black ants .

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2017 - 9:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh okay. Those are probably Myrmecocystus mimicus. I think they should be flying soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users