• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A new type of food for ants

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roachant - Posted February 26 2017 - 7:20 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi all,
I just wanted to share something that I thought I posted before but, I didn't! Last year I tried a new food for my tetramorium ants. I gave them crested gecko food made by Pangea, the mango melon kind.
This is the website:
https://www.pangeare...#/product/31202
I wasn't sure if the ants would go for it but boy, was I wrong! They ate a teaspoon portion in about an hour. I have never seen them react to a food so quickly. The larvae were all pink from being fed the food.
I just thought perhaps someone out there was looking for an easy alternative food for their ants that was reasonably priced. It lasts a long time too. I recommend it to those of you who may be having trouble getting food to their ants. If you look at the ingredients there is a fair amount of protein and some sugars and other vitamins so I believe it's good for them. My gecko goes crazy for it too by the way!
Don
  • AntswerMe and soulsynapse like this

#2 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 26 2017 - 7:41 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Cool! I used to feed my ants a pretty strict diet of exclusively meal worms and sugar water. Then one day when I finally offered them something else, they went completely bonkers over it! In my case, it was a reaction to being offered a nutrient that they didn't have access to before. Now when I feed them something that they went bonkers over before, they are less excited about it. So, just something to maybe keep an eye out for.
  • drtrmiller likes this
~Dan

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted February 28 2017 - 10:16 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I might try this someday. looks pretty interesting. It also turns out that they sell a complete diet for geckos with assorted insects / carbohydrates, which sounds awesome!!!

#4 Offline soulsynapse - Posted February 28 2017 - 11:46 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

hey clever

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic