• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis Fugax hibernation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noobkeeper - Posted February 3 2017 - 8:47 AM

noobkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationItaly

Greetings everyone!

I found 3 Solenopsis Fugax queens on the 16th of October and put them in hibernation a week later. Sadly, 1 of them died in a few days and the second one died after a month.

So right now I have one queen left. She's been kept in a room at 11-12 °C (temperature fluctuates a bit) for more than three months and I'm getting ready to wake her up.

What would be the best time to do so? Should I wait until late February or even later or I'm ready to go?

Also, what would be the optimal temperature to keep her once she's out of hibernation? I guess 18 °C will be too low, however in summer my room hits up to 24 °C. Not sure if I need to buy an heating mat/cable.

Thanks to everyone who'll help! :)

1x Tapinoma nigerrimum (4 queens) ~200 workers

9x Lasius sp. (founding)

#2 Offline AshleyFatin782 - Posted February 26 2017 - 11:52 AM

AshleyFatin782

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Why don't you email me at cathywathy771@gmail.com do I can answer all of your questions.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted February 26 2017 - 12:40 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany

Solenopsis fugax usually hibernates at about 15°C (they have really deep nests). For breeding 18°C is a bit low, 24°C is fine.

Just make sure your setup is extra escape-proof. These ants are super tiny (1-3.5mm) and they can squeeze through every tiny gap.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 27 2017 - 8:24 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Why don't you email me at cathywathy771@gmail.com do I can answer all of your questions.

You can post everything you know on the forum you know....  :/

YJK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users