• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Prenolepis imparis Thread

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 10 2017 - 7:00 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Hit the jackpot today! My brother (voidelecent) and I caught ten queens between 1:30 and 2:00pm and later caught two more around 3:00pm. It was sunny, a little breezy and 79° F. 

See pictures below:

Prenolepis imparis Caught 4/10/17

Prenolepis imparis Caught 4/10/17 II

Prenolepis imparis Caught 4/10/17 III

• MikeMc likes this

#82 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted April 10 2017 - 7:22 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

so i was doing some reading and it seems they eat earthworms??

http://bugguide.net/node/view/27323

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#83 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 11 2017 - 6:23 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Put two together, fingers crossed they workout.

#84 Offline Kevin - Posted April 11 2017 - 6:28 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Man, still nothing here.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#85 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 11 2017 - 6:43 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

We had alates preparing yesterday and as they were going to take off, it rained :*(

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#86 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 11 2017 - 7:22 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Just caught about 19 or so. I heard that they were either polygynous or pleometrophic, so I slowly and carefully allowed them to acclimate and come into contact with the other queens. This seems to have worked with flying colors. they are now in a "Atom C" formicarium. However, the question still remains: are they polygynous or pleometrophic? Do you guys know by any chance?

• MikeMc likes this

#87 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 11 2017 - 8:08 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Seasonal Life History & Nest Architecture of Prenolepis imparis

PDF: http://www.bio.fsu.e...ions/1987-3.pdf

• Martialis likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#88 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 11 2017 - 8:54 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

For those too lazy to read the paper: 

P. imparis polygyny

• Martialis likes this

#89 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:20 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
So happy the last two days in NJ were filled with flights for p. Imparis! Me and my little brother caught a total of 8! We could of gottn 100 if we wanted but we can't take care of that many.

Great catch for jersians!

#90 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:50 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

On April 9th, it was 73 degrees in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Me and a fellow ant keeper both caught 22 Prenolepis Imparis queens in the span of about 2 hours. (We even left a few queens alone)

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#91 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 11 2017 - 3:32 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Seasonal Life History & Nest Architecture of Prenolepis imparis

PDF: http://www.bio.fsu.e...ions/1987-3.pdf

Thank you :)

#92 Offline AntswerMe - Posted April 22 2017 - 9:10 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Darn, I missed them. Gotta wait until next year.

#93 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 22 2017 - 9:25 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I got my 8 queens on April 11. One was injured and died, one is winged, and acting strange so likely infertile.

When I checked on 4/21, 4 queens had layed 4-9 eggs each.

So It took somewhere in between 6 and 10 days for them to lay.

My journal here: http://www.formicult...9;s prenolepis

#94 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 25 2017 - 7:51 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Some more information on P. imparis, this is not as much about the collection, but about nest structure.  I ran across a youtube video of an ant nest casting of P. imparis.

It's neat because it gives you a great view of how they build their nests - and the depth really shows why it's important to catch them before they dig down :D

• noebl1, Spamdy and Myrmidon like this

Prenolepis imparis:  founding queens x15 | Journal

#95 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 25 2017 - 8:04 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Thank you for posting the video! I've been working on a design for mine based on the pdf posted recently:

R8kWVy5.png

Here's one I am iterating thru:

MSBtEoG.png

My thought is instead of daisy chaining nest together, use a single tube with 4 way unions in series to replicate the nests I've seen (in that video) and in that pdf where the nests were dug up.   The top of the union would go to the outworld, there would be a left and/or right version of the nest on either side of the union, then the bottom of the union would then go on to the next "level" of a pair of nests like above to expand.

Edited by noebl1, April 25 2017 - 8:05 AM.

• Cindy likes this

#96 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 25 2017 - 8:10 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Interesting - Thanks for sharing.  I may not be understanding your design completely, but the only reason I think the nests are so deeply layered is for temperature/humidity control and the height between each layer is strictly for those purposes.

https://youtu.be/-IzZMzNfUT0?t=1m8s

In the video you can pretty clearly see the main shaft is to get deep enough to not freeze and stay cool in the summer.

#97 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 25 2017 - 8:18 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Interesting - Thanks for sharing.  I may not be understanding your design completely, but the only reason I think the nests are so deeply layered is for temperature/humidity control and the height between each layer is strictly for those purposes.

In the video you can pretty clearly see the main shaft is to get deep enough to not freeze and stay cool in the summer.

Yup! Totally agree.  I don't really need to do a 8' "deep" nest either, it was more that formicariums are sometimes expanded by daisy chaining nest to nest to nest as they expand in size. Instead I'm going to try using a single main tube to join nests in pairs and continue the main tube to the next pair.  Using a 4 way union is practical hence can only really add 2 nests at a time.  If I had a 6 way union, I could do 4 per "level", but not sure such a thing exists, and don't really want to attempt to do that on the printer.

Edited by noebl1, April 25 2017 - 8:19 AM.

#98 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 25 2017 - 8:21 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

Yup! Totally agree.  I don't really need to do a 8' "deep" nest either, it was more that formicariums are sometimes expanded by daisy chaining nest to nest to nest as they expand in size. Instead I'm going to try using a single main tube to join nests in pairs and continue the main tube to the next pair.  Using a 4 way union is practical hence can only really add 2 nests at a time.  If I had a 6 way union, I could do 4 per "level", but not sure such a thing exists, and don't really want to attempt to do that on the printer.

Very nice - I'd like to collaborate on your designs some, I just ordered and printer and would love to explore where this could go.

• noebl1 likes this

#99 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 25 2017 - 8:48 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Very nice - I'd like to collaborate on your designs some, I just ordered and printer and would love to explore where this could go.

Just let me know :) I do a lot of the designs in Tinkercad as works great in a browser for me... so can share them out pretty easily I think.  That minty green bottom part I use to adjust how much hydration I want to do; the open area I pour hydrostone into.  Trying to determine how much hydration they require right now.  

My main 3D printer is not the most reliable, so about 3/4 thru a build of a new printer right now.

• MikeMc likes this

#100 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 25 2017 - 11:10 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Just let me know :) I do a lot of the designs in Tinkercad as works great in a browser for me.

I'd recommend you give sketchup a go, they offer many more options than tinkercad (speaking from experience) and you have much more control over your design. It takes sometime to learn how to use all the tools but in the end it's worth it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users