• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius is Flying! 8-21-14

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 22 2014 - 12:56 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Can't wait to see how much L. flavus I catch. :D

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 22 2014 - 3:18 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good luck!

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 22 2014 - 3:37 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Good luck!

Just figured out that there is a ton of ants flying! Formica,Monomorium, Lasius, Soelinopsis, Camponotus, and more!!

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 22 2014 - 6:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Camponotus this late? Lucky I want to get a hold of one of those, but here, I think I may have to wait till spring again.

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 22 2014 - 9:48 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

If you grab a Camponotus queen this late and raise it, can you give us an update on whether they are fertile or not? I've been getting a lot of info telling me that the chances of them being mated are little to none... so I literally just through two Camponotus pennsylvnicus queens out the window...

#6 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 23 2014 - 6:47 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

If you grab a Camponotus queen this late and raise it, can you give us an update on whether they are fertile or not? I've been getting a lot of info telling me that the chances of them being mated are little to none... so I literally just through two Camponotus pennsylvnicus queens out the window...

Apparently I found them flying right at my river and it was flooding sooo...

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 23 2014 - 7:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, every time I have found alates or dealates way later than their normal flight period, they turned out to be infertile; they were probably just rejects.

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 24 2014 - 4:46 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Yeah, every time I have found alates or dealates way later than their normal flight period, they turned out to be infertile; they were probably just rejects.

Same here. -_-

Oh yay I'm an advanced member now. :)

Edited by Gaige Daughtrey, August 24 2014 - 4:47 AM.

#9 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 30 2014 - 2:46 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

mericutia i once caught camponotus leveagatus late august, and it was fertile.  I believe some camponotus fly late and overwinter till next spring where they will start laying again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users