• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SoCal Goals: Veromessor Pergandei, Myrmecocystus creightoni and a Camponotus species!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline soulsynapse - Posted February 23 2017 - 4:48 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I live in SoCal, what are the best spots for these? Which have the highest density?

According to drew's map, m. creightoni can be found here 

https://www.google.c...4562187503&z=10

Any suggestions for camponotus? I think there's enough v. pergandei in the area that I'll catch them flying sooner or later :) but suggestions welcome

I'm in Riverside

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 24 2017 - 9:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Almost anywhere you go in the desert you will find V. pergandei. If I was to guess, I would say they are the most abundant ant (of a significant size) in the California deserts. The M. creightoni (not a positive ID by the way), I only remember finding around Palm Desert. Camponotus you can't miss if you go up in the mountains above 5000 feet any time around April and May during a heat wave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users