• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Founding Queen Ant Stress

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted February 18 2017 - 5:13 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Not so long ago I bot a found ant colony, which came two pogonomyrmex californicus queens in atom nest. The two queens had one larvae growing, when I bought them. I was unable to get a syringe to provide them moisture in the atom nest, and the queens moved to the outworld, which I serve them sugar water. I assumed the queens moved to the outworld because there was more moisture, but still fed the queens in the outworld, which caused them to go berserk every time I fed them. To lessen the stress, I placed their meals in the atom nest, but later they moved back to the atom nest. I kept repeating this process in the hope the queens would stay in one place, and even placed a cotton with water (to make them stay in one of the areas), but it did not work, Unfortunately,  one day the queens deciding to eat the larvae, which I saw, and concluded that it was from the stress.

At first I concluded that since it was winter and it was getting cold, the queens decided to eat the larvae, knowing it was not going to survive the winter. That was just hopeful think and I hope that ant queens would later start to lay eggs again, in February. However, the queens have not laid any eggs, which worries me. I am wondering if there is way to encourage the queens to start laying eggs.

Or is this hopeless?

If it is hopeless, I would like to try to find a new queen, but at the moment I only have space for one ant colony. 

Edited by MrPurpleB, February 18 2017 - 5:15 PM.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted February 18 2017 - 5:16 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Pretty sure they are semi clausteral, and need to be fed protein. Also, you need something to water that nest. It is already dry enough while hydrated "properly".

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted February 18 2017 - 5:19 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Thanks for the tip and I found a way to hydrate the nest, I will make sure to give them a bit more protein. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users