• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus cf. placodops Journal [196] (Updated 12-17-2021)

dspdrew journal myrmecocystus placodops

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 29 2015 - 11:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-29-2015

Really nothing has changed with these queens. They still lay a few eggs every once and a while, and then either eat them or kill them.

I decided to try something different with one of them and put it in one of my little ant farm boxes. After about one day, it dig a nest. Now to wait and see what happens. I might do this for another one too.

med_gallery_2_242_823105.jpg

#22 Offline Crystals - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:22 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

It dug quite a ways.  No wonder you have to catch them so soon after they fly.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-30-2015

The dead-beat queen I put in the ant farm box has suddenly laid a few eggs.

• Miles likes this

#24 Offline Miles - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:02 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Update 3-30-2015

The dead-beat queen I put in the ant farm box has suddenly laid a few eggs.

I'm thinking of doing this with a Pogonomyrmex queen.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#25 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:14 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I sounds like the test tube was just not where it wanted to be. I wonder if it would have been equally angry at life in something like a THA nest, where it feels more natural but she still won't be able to dig.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#26 Offline Miles - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:17 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I sounds like the test tube was just not where it wanted to be. I wonder if it would have been equally angry at life in something like a THA nest, where it feels more natural but she still won't be able to dig.

I'd expect her to be much more comfortable in a THA nest than on glass and cotton.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#27 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:29 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

The head of this species is quite colourful. I find that sometimes the larvae don't move due to too bloated with food. 

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2015 - 10:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I think any more natural-like precarved formicarium would probably work better for them. Because of the way I design my stuff, these ant farm boxes of dirt are probably easier to make, and more worth my time as a temporary solution. I also think there's a chance they are even more happy being in actual dirt. Obviously for honeypots specifically, the width of the space between the panels might not make them as happy as something carved out with deeper chambers for repletes.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 8 2015 - 8:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-8-2015

I ended up putting two more of these queens in the ant farm boxes, but one just died, so I used that box for another one of my Myrmecocystus yuma queens.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 30 2015 - 7:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-30-2015

These old deadbeat queens keep dying. There's now only one left, and she is now in one of the ant farm boxes. I really hope I find more of these this season.

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 4 2015 - 7:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-4-2015

The last queen died. I guess duds are duds, no matter what setup you put them in.

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
7-31-2015

1. Location of collection:  Adelanto, California.
2. Date of collection: 7-21-2015.
3. Habitat of collection:  Joshua tree/High Desert.
4. Length (from head to gaster):  13mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Red head; dark grey thorax and gaster.

I found three of these Myrmecocystus cf. mendax queens 7-21-2015, in Adelanto, California, and another in Johnson Valley. I dug all of them up from their founding chambers. The one from Johnson Valley looks slightly different, and might not be M. mendax, so once I find out for sure, I'll move her to another journal if I have to.

med_gallery_2_467_567511.jpg

med_gallery_2_467_69839.jpg

I put the three from Adelanto in some of my small dirt boxes, and the one from Johnson Valley I'll be putting in a small shallow container with Hydrostone in the bottom and dirt on top.

These all started laying eggs within a day or two.
  • drtrmiller likes this

#33 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 31 2015 - 12:25 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

How do you differentiate M. mendax from M. placodops?

• Jonathan21700 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 31 2015 - 1:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

M. mendax - Longest occipital hairs 0.5-1.0 x MOD, usually in excess of 0.7; longest mesoscutal hairs at least 0.5 x MOD, usually more; longest scutellar hairs at least 0.9 x MOD; scutal punctation variable; HW less than 2.3 mm

M. placodops - Longest occipital and scutal hairs 0.6, or less, x MOD; longest scutellar hairs 0.8, or less, x MOD; scutum with large anteromedian impunctate area; HW 2.3 mm

Problem is nobody knows exactly what MOD is. Some say maximum ocular diameter, some say minimum ocular diameter.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#35 Offline kellakk - Posted July 31 2015 - 2:39 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Drew, since Roy Snelling's paper that provides the key to Myrmecocystus clearly defines MOD as minimum ocular diameter, I'm pretty sure that's what you should go with. 

• NightsWebs likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 31 2015 - 5:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh okay. If it's the paper with the key then I guess I'd go with that.

#37 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 1 2015 - 11:00 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Roys key is definitely the best one currently available.

#38 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 5 2015 - 8:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-5-2015

I put the one from Johnson Valley into a dirt box yesterday. I placed all of her brood on the side of the container, so we'll see if she ends up losing it while she digs her nest.

#39 Offline LC3 - Posted August 5 2015 - 9:58 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Drew's logo should be a box of dirt. :P

#40 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 5 2015 - 11:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Bubblegum sunglasses guy would be better. B)

• Gregory2455 and LC3 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, myrmecocystus placodops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users