• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this a queen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:16 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Hi there,

I happen to be on a trail right now, Puente Hills in the City of Industry, Los Angeles and happen to find this ant. Can someone please tell me if it is a queen ant or not? I found it by itself. Thanks in advance!

IMG_4043.jpg
I'd say it measures 3-4mm in length.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:18 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I believe that is a worker, but I can't be 100% sure, but pretty darn sure.

• Martialis likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:20 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Ok thanks Kevin. I thought it was a bit too small to be a queen but it's larger than the others I've seen around.

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:23 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

It's definitely not too small to be a queen in general, some queens are 2mm long. However, queens generally have a bigger throax and noticeable wing scars.

Edited by Kevin, February 14 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#5 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:30 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Gotcha. Many thanks!

#6 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:45 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
How about this one??! I found it a freshly stated nest mound and it still has its wings. The few workers were probably 50% larger. This one measures around 2-3mm.

IMG_4045.jpg

You can see it relative in size to the other one I just caught

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

#7 Offline Miles - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:52 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Looks like workers and males of Prenolepis cf imparis, the winter ant or false honeypot ant. Winged (alate) and wingless (dealate) queens will be around in the coming days when the colonies have their nuptial flights. Prenolepis queens can vary significantly in coloration, ranging from a gorgeous amber to a shiny dark brown. Lots of information and pictures can be found online. Good luck!

Edited by Miles, February 14 2017 - 12:54 PM.

• T.C. likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:52 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
Hard to tell by the pictures. The first I think may be a male? The one in the second picture looks like a queen. However like I said difficult to tell by the pictures.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:55 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Oh ok. Sorry about the bad pictures. I'll try to take better ones at home. The winged ant was in new dirt mound with maybe 8-10 workers. And the workers were like 50% larger as I mentioned before. Thanks again.

#10 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 12:56 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I actually thought it was a gnat when I first saw it because it was so small.

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted February 14 2017 - 1:01 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Oh ok. Sorry about the bad pictures. I'll try to take better ones at home. The winged ant was in new dirt mound with maybe 8-10 workers. And the workers were like 50% larger as I mentioned before. Thanks again.

Then that is definetly a drone. Queens are larger than workers, and the males are smaller.

Edited by T.C., February 14 2017 - 1:02 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#12 Offline SoySauce - Posted February 14 2017 - 1:06 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Bummer ok. It's my son who is the ant enthusiast. I try to enjoy it with him. Thanks for all your help.

#13 Offline Kevin - Posted February 14 2017 - 2:55 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You are most likely not going to find a queen right now, there have only been a few reported flights in the US as I know so far this year. When there is a nuptial flight, it will be obvious. Look into the sky, cover the sun with your hand and you will see thousands of little males and queens flying around. That is when you want to capture the queen. Don't capture a queen with wings at a nest with all the other queens, because she is very likely not mated and hasn't gotten into the air yet. Queens you should look for will be wandering around with or without wings, or in a fresh founding chamber.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 14 2017 - 5:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I agree with Miles. Also, this species should be flying any time now around here.

Species             year  Month  Day  Time     Continent      Country  State  City	       Weather
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prenolepis imparis  2014  2      14   1:00 PM  North America  USA      CA     Trabuco Canyon   warm
Prenolepis imparis  2015  2      17   2:00 PM  North America  USA      CA     West Sacramento  65F
Prenolepis imparis  2015  2      20   2:00 PM  North America  USA      CA     West Sacramento  65F

#15 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 14 2017 - 8:14 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

You are most likely not going to find a queen right now, there have only been a few reported flights in the US as I know so far this year. When there is a nuptial flight, it will be obvious. Look into the sky, cover the sun with your hand and you will see thousands of little males and queens flying around. That is when you want to capture the queen. Don't capture a queen with wings at a nest with all the other queens, because she is very likely not mated and hasn't gotten into the air yet. Queens you should look for will be wandering around with or without wings, or in a fresh founding chamber.

I agree. Unless you live in the Gulf States. We like bending rules ;)

YJK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users