• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

March Nuptial Flights, NE/Mid-Atlantic Region

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 2 2017 - 6:57 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hi everyone,

I am SUPER excited for flights to start back up again in spring, and I'll be spending the majority of my spring break enjoying the warm weather and looking for ants!

There's no question I'll be keeping my eye out for Prenolepis Imparis, but I need to know if I should be looking for any other species as well.

I'm near the Philadelphia area in Pennsylvania, and the beginning of spring usually brings a significant fluctuation of weather patterns. Some days may still be in the 40° F - 50° F range and snowing, while others could get up to 70° F and sunny! Anyone in the Northeastern region of the US will most likely understand, this weather is unpredictable and volatile.

If you have any suggestions on what I should look out for other than P. Imparis, they would be greatly appreciated. I know March isn't for a while, but I'm just too excited.

Thanks!

• antgenius123 and TheAntKing like this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 3 2017 - 3:38 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

I am SUPER excited for flights to start back up again in spring, and I'll be spending the majority of my spring break enjoying the warm weather and looking for ants!

There's no question I'll be keeping my eye out for Prenolepis Imparis, but I need to know if I should be looking for any other species as well.

I'm near the Philadelphia area in Pennsylvania, and the beginning of spring usually brings a significant fluctuation of weather patterns. Some days may still be in the 40° F - 50° F range and snowing, while others could get up to 70° F and sunny! Anyone in the Northeastern region of the US will most likely understand, this weather is unpredictable and volatile.

If you have any suggestions on what I should look out for other than P. Imparis, they would be greatly appreciated. I know March isn't for a while, but I'm just too excited.

Thanks!

P.imparis might fly in March but the real action starts in April for NorthEastern states. Camponotus will be one of the first ants to fly, too. Other than that, I am really not sure because This would be my first Spring as an ant keeper.
  • Agonzalez4771 likes this

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted February 3 2017 - 5:52 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Oh man, i'm so stoked! Knowing what i know now, i'm gonna have an awesome season. One of the main issues i had last season was not being prepared. I spent a lot of time this winter preparing myself. Built a new aspirator, bought a nice new backpack, all weather leather bound ant journal, and all the test tubes and containers i'll ever need. And i have nests ready to be inhabited.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline Agonzalez4771 - Posted February 3 2017 - 7:34 AM

Agonzalez4771

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

I'll be spending the majority of my spring break enjoying the warm weather and looking for ants!

Nathant2131, on 03 Feb 2017 - 05:38 AM, said

This would be my first Spring as an ant keeper.

Hi Guys...
I’ve been doing some reading online, not sure how dependable it may or may not be, but I will be starting my ant search this March. I am from Harlingen TX, WAY South Texas, and according to my readings, Species can start as early as March and run into summer... This is my 1st year going into Ants. I normally focus on Tarantulas, So my son and I are excited to start ants this year. We have all are supplies ready to go... all we need are the Queens. We have started walking our parks and fields looking for existing colonies so that I will know where to go when the Nuptial Flights start... so far the only colonies I have found are what I think are called Pogonomyrmex and Fire Ants. I've seen little crazy ants but no colonies... so the search continues. My son and I find it easier to put our phone on Pokémon Go and hatch Pokémon eggs while we search for Colonies

• Martialis likes this

1 colony of Neoponera Villosa

1 colony of Leptogenys Elongata

1 colony of red black Camponotus

1 Pachycondyla harpax Queen

1 Solenopsis Queen

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted February 3 2017 - 7:45 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Just keep looking. :)  The colonies will become more apparent as summer settles in. Fair warning: Pogonomyrmex are semi-claustral. 

Spoiler

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 3 2017 - 8:57 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I'll be spending the majority of my spring break enjoying the warm weather and looking for ants!

Nathant2131, on 03 Feb 2017 - 05:38 AM, said

This would be my first Spring as an ant keeper.

Hi Guys...
I’ve been doing some reading online, not sure how dependable it may or may not be, but I will be starting my ant search this March. I am from Harlingen TX, WAY South Texas, and according to my readings, Species can start as early as March and run into summer... This is my 1st year going into Ants. I normally focus on Tarantulas, So my son and I are excited to start ants this year. We have all are supplies ready to go... all we need are the Queens. We have started walking our parks and fields looking for existing colonies so that I will know where to go when the Nuptial Flights start... so far the only colonies I have found are what I think are called Pogonomyrmex and Fire Ants. I've seen little crazy ants but no colonies... so the search continues. My son and I find it easier to put our phone on Pokémon Go and hatch Pokémon eggs while we search for Colonies

That's exactly what i do with my dad haha... Pokemon Go FTW!

• TheAntKing likes this

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:19 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I played Pokemon before it was 'cool' hehe I love being an Hippocrate and double posting.

Also, during this time in Texas, invicta will be everywhere, keep an eye out for Pogonomyrmex and Myrmecosysrus and Solenopsis molesta/geminata as they will all fly fairly early.

As for Pennsylvania, watch for Camponotus, Tetramorium, Crematogaster, Prenolepis, and more.

YJK

#8 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:52 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

This will be my first time trying too.

It feels like is taking forever to March and reading to understand and anticipate all details has being fun but now I'm ready for some "field action"!

Walking around the front and backyard I have not see many ants on my area (beyond FireAnts, that are everywhere and always waiting for someone to get distracted and become a victim!) but the weather is still too erratic moving from warm moist to cold with some rain, so I can understand why there  is not too much activity...

What Ants do you recommend to look for here on the Florida Panhandle? (I'm aiming for Camponotus, but what else should be on my watch list)

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 1:00 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

This will be my first time trying too.

It feels like is taking forever to March and reading to understand and anticipate all details has being fun but now I'm ready for some "field action"!

Walking around the front and backyard I have not see many ants on my area (beyond FireAnts, that are everywhere and always waiting for someone to get distracted and become a victim!) but the weather is still too erratic moving from warm moist to cold with some rain, so I can understand why there  is not too much activity...

What Ants do you recommend to look for here on the Florida Panhandle? (I'm aiming for Camponotus, but what else should be on my watch list)

DEFINETLEY Pheidole, Odontomachus, Solenopsis geminata, Cephalotes, Trachymyrmex, Camponotus floridanus, Psedonumyx, YCA and BCA.

YJK

#10 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted February 3 2017 - 1:44 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Pheidole and Camponotus are good size ants, I like that... yellow and black crazy ants are too small for me to enjoy, one old eye is not good for chasing ants on crack!!!

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#11 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 3 2017 - 2:10 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

P.imparis might fly in March but the real action starts in April for NorthEastern states. Camponotus will be one of the first ants to fly, too. Other than that, I am really not sure because This would be my first Spring as an ant keeper.

Depends on how far north, I found most of April here in MA was pretty much over-wintered parasitic Lasius looking for new colonies to enter.  Mid May last year is when it really started to pick up as first was the camponotus, starting with the C. Myrmentoma then end of May with the larger ones like C. pennsylvanicus, etc). They were soon followed by Temnothorax in June and Tetramorium/Myrmica in July.  Depending on the type you are interested in (I'm not big into camponotus), but for me June/July was the exciting months, especially after dark or early morning.   Due to the drought we had, Pheidole I don't think really flew much.

Definitely have your test tubes ready to in March just in case though for the P. Imparis :)  It felt like forever before stuff really started.

Edited by noebl1, February 3 2017 - 2:17 PM.

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 3 2017 - 4:14 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Thanks guys. This is great. I'll keep an eye out for all of these, especially P. Imparis. Thanks.

• TheAntKing likes this

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Fair warning: Pogonomyrmex are semi-claustral. 

Most are, but not all.

#14 Offline NightsWebs - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:04 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Rugosus and Maricopa are both fully claustral

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#15 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 7:59 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Pheidole and Camponotus are good size ants, I like that... yellow and black crazy ants are too small for me to enjoy, one old eye is not good for chasing ants on crack!!!

Pheidole are small lmao, They are like 1-2mm and majors are 3-5mm

YJK

#16 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted February 4 2017 - 7:41 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

have you ever see pheidole?

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#17 Offline LC3 - Posted February 4 2017 - 4:18 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Most Pheidole are pretty small,  to my knowledge the larger Pheidole species are found in the desert (Southwest).

On top of the yellow crazy ants Anoplolepis gracilipes aren't small at all, albeit really leggy and skinny. They're larger then some Formica species in fact with workers being around 5-6mm.

Paratrechina longicornis are really small though. Almost like tiny versions of their yellow name sharing ant.

Edited by LC3, February 4 2017 - 4:20 PM.

#18 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted February 4 2017 - 9:37 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

slightly off topic but some people in the south and SW of america are reporting that fire ants are already flying. that comes from The Ultimate Ants & Myrmecology Facebook Group

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#19 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 5 2017 - 7:07 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

slightly off topic but some people in the south and SW of america are reporting that fire ants are already flying. that comes from The Ultimate Ants & Myrmecology Facebook Group

Oh yeah. invicta are flying everyday that's warm and humid down here.

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users