• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Catching a mature ant colony

mature colony ants

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:38 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Ok so I'm planning to catch a mature colony. I've located several different species but my main aim is Pheidole Sp. since they are common here. So any tips or advice on how to catch a colony would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by antgenius123, January 31 2017 - 9:40 PM.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:57 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I tried on several different occasions. Any ants nesting in soil I never got to the queen. However, I have gotten whole camponotous colonies in logs with a chain saw and wood splitter. Also I caught a mature myrmica sp. colony in a flood. The picture below shows how large the colony was. As you could imagine things got a little messy with ants going everywhere. However I managed to capture most of them. Fairly painful though.

This is what I put them in. Half were still hanging out in the out world when I took this picture (Don't pick on me about how much glue I used :D )

Edited by T.C., January 31 2017 - 10:07 PM.

• antgenius123 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 31 2017 - 10:43 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

If you plan ahead of your target species nuptial flights, place something (like a brick) somewhere a queen might like to make a nest.

Don't disturb it........................................................................................uh,ah. I said don't touch it. Resist all urges.

If your lucky,.......I would wait probably a whole season (I know right, you shoulda done this 3 months ago) you can come out and gently lift the brick.

Be ready, there could be a queen under there. ;)

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 2 2017 - 10:36 PM.

• ctantkeeper and antgenius123 like this

#4 Offline Leo - Posted February 1 2017 - 1:37 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

well, i dug up a large colony of pheidole from a plant pot by flipping the pot upside down :D

everything tumbled out

Edited by Leo, February 1 2017 - 1:37 AM.

#5 Offline Shareallicu - Posted February 2 2017 - 2:42 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

If you plan ahead of your target species nuptial flights, place something (like a brick) somewhere a queen might like to make a nest.

Don't disturb it........................................................................................uh,ah. I said don't touch it. Resist all urges.

If our lucky,.......I would wait probably a whole season (I know right, you shoulda done this 3 months ago) you can come out and gently lift the brick.

Be ready, there could be a queen under there. ;)

I did this to a formica colony last month :)  I just don't know when to look under it.  i'm thinking around April

• CrazyLegs likes this

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted February 3 2017 - 5:59 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

The flooding method works with some species as well. It's how i caught my very first colony in a planter.

• antgenius123 likes this

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:22 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

The flooding method works with some species as well. It's how i caught my very first colony in a planter.

Hehe that's how I caught a 300-500 worker Invicta colony ;)

Also antgenius, I don't recommend this at ALL, because ants dig very deep in general to avoid predators, and if you are digging Pheidole and they are VERY small, so you may miss the queen and end up killing the whole colony. I would recommend waiting for a flight. Patience is a virtue ;)

Edited by Alabama Anter, February 3 2017 - 11:24 AM.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

YJK

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 3 2017 - 4:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I tried on several different occasions. Any ants nesting in soil I never got to the queen. However, I have gotten whole camponotous colonies in logs with a chain saw and wood splitter. Also I caught a mature myrmica sp. colony in a flood. The picture below shows how large the colony was. As you could imagine things got a little messy with ants going everywhere. However I managed to capture most of them. Fairly painful though.

Collecting a wild colony via flooding method is mostly hit or miss, depending greatly on the soil composition and water table in your area.  I can't tell you how many times I've observed flooded colonies, and the queen wasn't present in the mass.

My experience is that collecting mature colonies works well when the queen is easy to access, such as in a twig or small branch, under a large rock, under bark, or in a solar mound on a cool spring morning.

The larger the colony, the more difficult it may be to locate the queen, as large colonies are generally more fortified and protected from predators, having been around for years.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted February 3 2017 - 5:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Collecting a wild colony via flooding method is mostly hit or miss, depending greatly on the soil composition and water table in your area.  I can't tell you how many times I've observed flooded colonies, and the queen wasn't present in the mass.

My experience is that collecting mature colonies works well when the queen is easy to access, such as in a twig or small branch, under a large rock, under bark, or in a solar mound on a cool spring morning.

The larger the colony, the more difficult it may be to locate the queen, as large colonies are generally more fortified and protected from predators, having been around for years.

This colony had multiple queens. Also i am not speaking of the alates that were in this mess. I seen like 2 or 3 queens within the pile that were fertile with the wings off.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mature colony, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users