• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to find Prenolepis imparis

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline XZero38 - Posted January 31 2017 - 1:23 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I live out in Colorado, anyone have any experience or tips for finding prenolepis imparis queens?

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted January 31 2017 - 1:31 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

They fly when the temperatures reach the 60s and 70s; late March and early April.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted January 31 2017 - 1:38 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I find P. imparis in trees and dead tree stumps in open to relatively open areas.

#4 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted January 31 2017 - 5:49 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

They occasionally fly in February and early March but it's only on rare days in the high 60's or above. They don't next in trees but swarms gather around them! Forest edges on afternoons early on, and sooner in the day later on are typically swarming with males when they fly. They're like a swarm of gnats flying all over trees and bushes. Queens show up 1 at a time every five minutes to a half hour or so, and can be hard to find, especially in leaf litter.

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 1 2017 - 6:15 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Step one would be to carry vials and containers on you at all times... none of that airsofting excuses...

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 1 2017 - 9:45 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I live out in Colorado, anyone have any experience or tips for finding prenolepis imparis queens?

I live near Philadelphia, PA. And am looking forward to search for Prenolepis Imparis, myself.  I've done a lot of reading in order to prepare myself for the flights, and so far I've gotten some good info (you've probably already come across much of this, but hopefully you get something out of it):

• Nuptial Flights occur around March to April (probably March in warmer climates and April in colder climates like Colorado and PA).
  • Alates have been spotted in 40-50 F° degree weather in the snow (Once again, this is probably very rare, and must have occurred particularly late, maybe April or May, in a warmer climate. I suspect the chances of catching a Prenoelpis Imparis Queen in 40° F weather in Colorado or Pennsylvania won't be nearly as high.
  • Based on what I've seen, these queens are quite slow and lethargic compared to other ants. Unlike Lasius flights where the dealated Queens litter the ground and surroundings, Prenolepis Imparis are probably a little more elusive.
  • Even though these ants have been spotted in low temperatures and towards the end of winter (Jan.-Feb.), it's MUCH more likely you'll find one in March. preferably around the first couple days of spring, when air temperatures rise above 60° F and you can start to feel the warm breeze and humidity of spring.
  • Like most ants, you can find these alates near slightly more wooded or suburban areas. From what I've heard, they're somewhat arboreal so you may have some luck near or around the bases of trees.

Even though it seems like this species would be significantly harder to catch, it's always worth carrying a small bottle or container in case of emergency situations. The last thing you want is to find a Prenolepis Queen and be unprepared to catch it. I've kept small plastic vials in my pockets since January, in the hopes that I get really lucky and find one wandering around my campus.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any success.

Edited by VoidElecent, February 1 2017 - 9:58 AM.

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 1 2017 - 3:25 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

They are pretty elusive I found compared to other types, and seem to be a right place, right time situation.  Last year I re-injured my back in March, so while on PT, walking was my #1 priority, so even while at work or home was walking 1-1.5 hours a day, pretty much every afternoon.   Also before PT if I had time, I'd do a 15-30min lap around their partially wooded office park. Then I'd get home and walk another 15-60mins before or after dinner.  Did that pretty much every day unless it was raining from March thru Fall, and I still missed them.  I did however find tons of other queens for Lasius, camponotus, Myrmica, Ponera, Temnothorax, Tetramorium etc, so wasn't a total loss.  It's on my list to find this year too, though already worked out a deal to trade some Temnothorax for P. Imparis with another member that had no issues last year finding them.  Now that I tried to cover my bases, neither he nor I will find them. hehe.

Edited by noebl1, February 1 2017 - 3:33 PM.

#8 Offline Annexis - Posted February 1 2017 - 3:41 PM

Annexis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

Well you just find em bro...

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 1 2017 - 3:43 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Well you just find em bro...

Wasn't kidding and sorry didn't intend to come off cocky, was more I was out a LOT last year walking, found tons of others, but not these.  P. Imparis and Pheidole ants are my white whales; never find them :(

#10 Offline XZero38 - Posted February 2 2017 - 9:07 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I appreciate all the tips and info everyone, once it starts getting a bit warmer here ill have to go out searching.

#11 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 2 2017 - 11:38 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Warmer?! It was 60s out earlier this week - Was outside enjoying myself. Then today everyone decided, "Hey let's drive 30 MPH because its wet outside." Sure its... 21.7 degrees out right now.... 

I don't know what happened this winter. I don't think its done with, but we never experienced "what winter is" either. I was going to bring things out of hibernation and "start" in March. 

• Martialis likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#12 Offline Loops117 - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:02 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I've been preparing for this upcoming season. I didn't think anything flew that early, so i was completely caught off guard. 

#13 Offline Martialis - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:03 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Ants fly earlier as you approach the equator.

Spoiler

#14 Offline Loops117 - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:58 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Ants fly earlier as you approach the equator.

Should be march/april for us

• Martialis likes this

#15 Offline BMM - Posted February 6 2017 - 5:07 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I've been hoping to catch some Prenolepis imparis myself. Here in Missouri we're looking at rain tonight with temperatures around 60° and then tomorrow it's supposed to be clear and in the mid 60's. It sounds like this would be about right to find them. Is a relatively short spike in temperature enough to get them flying? Or does it need to be a more gradual change in temperature?

• Llantris likes this

#16 Offline superjman - Posted February 6 2017 - 8:42 AM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

I'm getting geared up for searching for them too BMM!

• Llantris likes this

superjmansbugblog.tumblr.com

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

#17 Offline Llantris - Posted February 7 2017 - 4:51 AM

Llantris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCollinsville, Illinois

Superjman & BMM same here, thought i'd hit the local parks around noon until 6pm or so, figured worse case, I see nothing.

• superjman likes this

#18 Offline superjman - Posted February 7 2017 - 9:32 AM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

I got a blacklight and I'm gonna set up tonight as well as searching this afternoon

superjmansbugblog.tumblr.com

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

#19 Offline Llantris - Posted February 7 2017 - 11:35 AM

Llantris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCollinsville, Illinois
Spotted a small swarm of male alates but they were just getting blown by me on the wind today in Woodland Park, Collinsville IL. Over by disc golf hole 2 just down the hill right by the sand box.

Edited by Llantris, February 7 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#20 Offline Goldsystem - Posted February 7 2017 - 11:40 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I live in Oregon but I'm assuming the process is the same. They fly around April for me and tend to have three day long mating flights. One the second day that's when they are most active, walking around I found many wingless and winged queens on the ground. So I would just walk around in a area you know has p impairs nests and carry some snap cap bottles on you for easy collecting. Good luck :D
  • Llantris likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users