• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care Sheet - Tetramorium immigrans

tetramorium sp e

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2017 - 10:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Scientific Name:  Tetramorium Species E

Common Name:  Pavement ant

Distribution:  North America, maybe Europe but taxonomists aren't sure.

Queen size:  7 mm

Worker size:  1-3 mm

Natural Habitat:  Generally anywhere, under bricks and rocks, under logs, sometimes found in logs but very uncommon.

Circadian Activity:  Usually diurnal

Mating Flight:  Lots of them in June, they come out after storms. They fly in the air and mate. Pretty easy to find.

Queen Founding Method:  Fully-claustral

Monogyne or Polygyne:  Monogyne

Average time from egg to worker:  Egg to Larvae = 11 days; Larvae to pupae = 11 days, Pupae to worker = 12 days. Very fast growers.

Recommended Temperature:  70-78 degrees F, 21-25 C

Recommended Humidity:  30-40%, not too much but they still need some.

Preferred Foods:  Anything including crackers, chicken, bugs, fruit. They don't seem to like sugar water as much as honey.

Hibernation Details:  46F / 8C.

Escape Barrier Methods:  PTFE, you will need a good barrier because they are so small.

Difficulty rating:  1/10, definitely one of the easiest species to keep.

Bite and/or Sting rating:  The sting might hurt a little, just don't mess with them when they are eating or anything. Overall, don't pick them up ;)

Special Care or Interesting Notes:  A good species to try a first formicaria on. They're fast too. Hibernate them from November to February.

Information submitted by AnthonyP163

Edited by dspdrew, March 5 2022 - 8:30 PM.

• DjuriniMravi, Ant Broski, fANTastic and 6 others like this

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted January 20 2017 - 11:06 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I take 10/10 as the most difficult possible.

I'd read 1/10 as level 1 out of 10 - easy

and 10/10 as the last level - hardest.

• Martialis and Antkeeper01 like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted January 20 2017 - 12:07 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I interpreted the same as you.  1 out of 10 would be easiest to me.  Though the numbers realistically are pretty arbitrary :)  

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted January 23 2017 - 6:47 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah... And that's the debate that goes on in my head. 'Why am I making the comment? What is going to be gained from it? Does it really matter?" 

No...I think everyone understands. It's fine and alright. Not to deliberately rock the boat with the "YOURE MISTAKEN CAUSE WE DO THINGS DIFFFERENTLY 'ROUND THESE PARTS" and all.... 

I am glad that they are easy as they are as I am holding onto one queen right now...with like.. partial interest. Its hibernation time and so I kinda forget about them. I should probably go and give them new foods. Once I break them back out I'll be upset how I still don't have a lid but am really enjoying watching them. 

• YsTheAnt likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 27 2017 - 6:49 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I fixed it :D

I just recently took mine out, as they were put in to hibernation in the beginning of October.

Edited by AnthonyP163, January 27 2017 - 6:50 AM.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted January 27 2017 - 7:04 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Dang, really? Already?

I checked in on mine earlier this week and they are still all huddled together. Just waiting. ..sleeping? They are just in a super-zoned-out trance for days at a time. Weirdos....I'm not planning on taking them out of hibernation until I see ants outside in Colorado. Still having snow and colds that I'm thinking its still too early for me to bring them out. 

• Steph-Tronix likes this

#7 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 27 2017 - 7:19 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Dang, really? Already?
I checked in on mine earlier this week and they are still all huddled together. Just waiting. ..sleeping? They are just in a super-zoned-out trance for days at a time. Weirdos....I'm not planning on taking them out of hibernation until I see ants outside in Colorado. Still having snow and colds that I'm thinking its still too early for me to bring them out.

I took mine out because they had a little over 3 months of hibernation, which is the average. One colony has taken 1 cricket and a few drops of honey. The other has taken 3 crickets and tons more honey. They went crazy with the food and swarmed, it was weird to see them like this on the first day of being taken out, I expected them to take a week or so of just sitting there. 1 hour after being put in an out world they were drinking honey though. It was awesome.

#8 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 27 2017 - 9:03 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I would add that they exhibit pleometrophic behavior as well as monogyne colony founding behavior. I have had lots of success when raising them in pleometrophic colonies.

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 27 2017 - 9:04 AM.

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 27 2017 - 9:28 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
Most people do not like this, as the queens have a death match almost always. The template said to keep it to Monogyne or Polygnye, probably in order to keep confusion at a low.

#10 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 27 2017 - 2:41 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Most people do not like this, as the queens have a death match almost always. The template said to keep it to Monogyne or Polygnye, probably in order to keep confusion at a low.

Yes, but if executed correctly, than you have a LOT to gain by doing so. Just because some people are not familiar with pleometrophic behavior in ants doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it at all or pretend it doesn't exist. This might be why so few people discuss this way of founding colonies.

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#11 Offline QuietWind01 - Posted October 26 2022 - 8:08 PM

QuietWind01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Natural Habitat:  Generally anywhere, under bricks and rocks, under logs, sometimes found in logs but very uncommon.

Mating Flight:  Lots of them in June, they come out after storms. They fly in the air and mate. Pretty easy to find.

Average time from egg to worker:  Egg to Larvae = 11 days; Larvae to pupae = 11 days, Pupae to worker = 12 days. Very fast growers.

Preferred Foods:  Anything including crackers, chicken, bugs, fruit. They don't seem to like sugar water as much as honey.

Escape Barrier Methods:  PTFE, you will need a good barrier because they are so small.

Bite and/or Sting rating:  The sting might hurt a little, just don't mess with them when they are eating or anything. Overall, don't pick them up ;)

Special Care or Interesting Notes:  A good species to try a first formicaria on. They're fast too. Hibernate them from November to February.

This summer I rescued a tetramorium colony out of a wood pile I had just gotten, for burning wood. I still have them and recently moved them to a proper nest. WHAT A PAIN!!! 4+ hours a day for almost a week and a half to finish moving them. THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of workers. They REALLY loved their log. I could barely get them out of it. So I guess not only did I find a mature colony that was relatively easy to keep because I didn't have to dig it up and kill all of them and destroy their home, I also found one that was living in something considered rare for them to nest in... interesting.

• bmb1bee likes this

#12 Offline Michael_joseph - Posted January 18 2023 - 8:17 AM

Michael_joseph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the info starting my first formicarium with these guys. I did read that there sting can not pierce our skin?

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2023 - 8:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thanks for the info starting my first formicarium with these guys. I did read that there sting can not pierce our skin?

Yes, it can. It's not that bad, though. 

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline rptraut - Posted January 18 2023 - 7:26 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
ctantkeeper - can you please provide a link or explain how pleometric founding should work. Thanks
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted January 19 2023 - 1:03 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

ctantkeeper - can you please provide a link or explain how pleometric founding should work. Thanks

He hasn't been on in a few years.  I did a journal on this ...

https://www.formicul...nal-experiment/

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#16 Offline rptraut - Posted January 19 2023 - 3:31 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Very interesting read.  Thank you

#17 Offline antperson24 - Posted February 10 2023 - 4:19 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Your info is great, but just one thing, according to Wikipediae they are 2.5-4mm long. Also, you probably knew this, but just to remind you they are now known as Tertramorium immigrans.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#18 Offline rptraut - Posted February 10 2023 - 7:17 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Your info is great, but just one thing, according to Wikipediae they are 2.5-4mm long. Also, you probably knew this, but just to remind you they are now known as Tertramorium immigrans.

Can we assume you mean Tetramorium immigrans?

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 11 2023 - 2:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I fixed the name in the title. The care sheet must have been written before that name was formalized.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline madbiologist - Posted February 11 2023 - 8:54 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio

I agree with the 2.5-4mm worker length, 1mm is definitely way too small. For hibernation/diapause information, it may be worth adding that hibernation/diapause is optional for them. I've never seen any ill affects from skipping it with this species, and overall I'd recommend not hibernating them.

• AntObserver likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium sp e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users