• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greg's Solenopsis xyloni Journal (Discontinued)

fire ant solenopsis solenopsis xyloni journal

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 28 2014 - 6:42 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

These do not need to hibernate.  :facepalm:

#122 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 28 2014 - 7:51 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Does it mean that they died off?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#123 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 28 2014 - 8:05 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

A lot of ants are going to look like they have died off or something during the winter; it happens every year. Even here in Southern California, I've gone out hiking in the middle of the winter, and have gone the entire day without seeing one ant.

#124 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 28 2014 - 10:36 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
What died off? Nothing in this journal has died off except mites which were completely eradicated.

#125 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 28 2014 - 12:00 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

He was speaking of a wild colony by his house, greg. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#126 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 28 2014 - 12:04 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I see that now. :P

#127 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 16 2014 - 11:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 11/16/2014

I have given my colonies of this species enough attention, all I would do is feed them and check on the queens, nothing more than that. I looked at them a bit more today, because I figured I would finally update this. :) All three colonies are okay, the two larger colonies probably have anywhere from 50-100 workers, and the smaller one is at about 25 workers, and sadly, not a lot of brood. Actually, none of these colonies have smaller larvae, but I did see a new clutch of eggs in he second of the larger colonies. I had to dump every single one of these colony's test tubes into their out-world to prompt a faster move into the new, and clean, test tubes offered by me. This was because, like my Tetramorium colony, the same yellow anaerobic bacteria is polluting their test tubes, which is probably the reason smaller brood items are dying, and a couple workers have died from it too. This will be updated again immediately after all three colonies move.

#128 Offline DesertAntz - Posted November 18 2014 - 12:14 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

How pissed did they get when you dumped them? I slightly agitated a wild colony of these gals and they looked like they were ready to kill a bear. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#129 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 18 2014 - 12:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How pissed did they get when you dumped them? I slightly agitated a wild colony of these gals and they looked like they were ready to kill a bear.

They were pissed, but with the amount of brood the large colony has (~1.5:1), saving the brood seemed to be the priority.

#130 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 28 2014 - 10:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

An actually random and pointless picture of the small colony...

They are all doing good, and two of the three queens of colonies of mine have swollen gasters, so a lot of brood coming my way. :) Perfect time to start using ByFormica Formula. :D

Edited by Gregory2455, November 28 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#131 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 9 2014 - 12:27 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

One of the larger colonies has some blue larvae from the Blue 100 I have been feeding them. The other two, are yet to show any major interest in the Blue 100 other than workers drinking the liquid from the gel.

#132 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 9 2014 - 2:00 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Small colonies are more difficult to feed, regardless as to what you're using.  Just keep doing what you're doing and I predict you'll have success with them, eventually :~)

Gonna send you some SuperBoost at some point for those, as well.  I think Solenopsis will benefit greatly from it.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 9 2014 - 2:00 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#133 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 20 2014 - 3:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 12/20/2014

Due to the fact the small colony was shrinking daily, I moved them into a new test tube and out of the foraging container. Maybe in a normal, closed test tube, they will do better. 

The other two larger colonies are growing at a steady rate, but what is weird, is that I saw a callow foraging yesterday. :o

Also, in one of the big colonies, a couple foragers started an "ant death spiral" such as what is shown in this video, except on a smaller scale, with about 25 workers participating in it, before i broke it up and scared them off. :o :facepalm:

• drtrmiller likes this

#134 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 20 2014 - 3:56 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Well at least you got a nice, clean photograph out of their demise :~)

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#135 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 20 2014 - 4:32 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It is not demise, it is a mere withdraw. ;)

#136 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 26 2015 - 7:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 1/26/2015

The small colony appears to be done with hibernation, as the queen showed today by laying a new clutch of eggs! :D

Edited by Gregory2455, January 26 2015 - 7:11 PM.

• DesertAntz and Miles like this

#137 Offline InsideAntz - Posted January 27 2015 - 5:08 PM

InsideAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBensalem PA (Philadelphia)
Big fan of the little ants... Yours look a lot like sugar ants.

They bounced back pretty good for ya, nice.

#138 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 27 2015 - 5:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, I hope they can bounce back! ;)

#139 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 31 2015 - 9:35 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 1/31/2014

I moved the two larger colonies into the very clear and amazing "boxbox" containers. These containers are better ventilated, are smaller, harder, and have way better visibility than their old containers, so now I can probably take some good video of them. :D

The smallest colony is down to four workers, and they ate the only larva in the last video. There seem to be more eggs however.

#140 Offline LAnt - Posted January 31 2015 - 11:33 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Kinda confused on what the "boxbox" containers are.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fire ant, solenopsis, solenopsis xyloni, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users