• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greg's Solenopsis xyloni Journal (Discontinued)

fire ant solenopsis solenopsis xyloni journal

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 23 2014 - 9:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How often did you feed your Solenopsis xyloni when they were this large? I am just curious.

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 24 2014 - 9:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you're talking to me, I usually feed all my ants once a week or so--sometimes less.

#23 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted August 24 2014 - 4:05 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

If you're talking to me, I usually feed all my ants once a week or so--sometimes less.

Really? Lately, I have been feeding all of my larger colonies almost daily. My Tetramorium colonies will each reduce two good-sized crickets to nothingness in less than a day.

Edited by Myrmicinae, August 24 2014 - 4:07 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#24 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 24 2014 - 4:54 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

He meant at the stage mine are at. (9-20 Workers)

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 24 2014 - 5:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Nah, I meant pretty much all my ants. Where I live it's relatively dry, so I can leave the food in there, which they feed off of for quite some time.

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 24 2014 - 5:52 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Problem with me doing that is that it would turn into a breeding ground for those mites, just like that mealworm.

Not to mention, they don't seem to be foraging, so they are probably well fed right now, although all the honey I gave them yesterday is gone.

#27 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 24 2014 - 6:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am going to try to move them, each of them and the brood individually checked for mites- into a new area. I have too much worry for them in this area. I am also going to chill the black ones- I found them up at the Big Bear area, so its probably safe- and try to remove the mites from them too, although the population of mites seems to have gone down a lot.

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 24 2014 - 6:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When I removed the mites from my M. testaceus queens, I held them with a piece of soft foam rubber and pulled the mites off with a tweezers.

#29 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 24 2014 - 8:36 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

These are easier to get off, I experimented with the ones on the mealworm. They just slide on off. 

#30 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 26 2014 - 8:56 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Still no mites viable on any of the Solenopsis xyloni, and they seem to have completely died out of the test tube, but are still in the foraging container on the leftovers, which I got rid of.

They also seem to have mostly retreated from the test tube of the black queen, and she seems unphased by the mites on her and energetic as always.

#31 Offline DesertAntz - Posted August 26 2014 - 9:07 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Those damn mites  :ugone2far:

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#32 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 26 2014 - 9:12 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yep, although that's what I get for not sterilizing everything I give them... I think the Solenopsis xyloni can get through it, and even if the black ones die, I have more of them with pupae now, its just a good wake up call.

#33 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 26 2014 - 10:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 8/26/2014

Out of the two colonies that have the mites, I will be scanning worker by worker, egg by egg, brood by brood, for any mites, removing them, and taking them out of foraging containers.

I will be moving the Solenopsis xyloni into a home made growth chamber type unit, and the other unfortunate colony with the mites will have to go back to test tube setup quarantine until I can be certain the mites are no more.

#34 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 28 2014 - 3:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They are back in a nice hygienic test tube, but the queen doesn't seem to be doing to well, she just sits on top of the brood with her legs spread... The move definitely stressed her out, I hope she will be ok...  :(

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 28 2014 - 3:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't think moving ants does a lot of damage. I rarely let mine move themselves. When it's time to move around here, out comes the barbecue skewer and forceps. It's usually a 2 minute operation.

#36 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 28 2014 - 5:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes, I agree, this was just a bit of an emergency, I fed them, and am going to leave them alone for now...

#37 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 4:44 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

keep dem calm plox

#38 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 29 2014 - 8:25 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They moved in pretty well, I gave them a termite and sugar water and they seem happy again. 

Also, as far as I see, no mites so far.  :yahoo:

#39 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 10:53 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

where did you get the termites ?! if your in simi valley we are like- right close so where did you find them?!?!?!

#40 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 30 2014 - 5:57 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
They have nuptial flights like ants in my neighborhood, not to mention I have a pool, so I just catch a bunch whenever they fly. Also I am probably going to start a colony with all the ones that didn't quite drown, to use as feeders.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fire ant, solenopsis, solenopsis xyloni, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users