• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need a Microscope...

identifying microscope

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 10 2017 - 3:36 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Well there is no point in not trying it out. I will probably buy a nice stereo microscope soon enough. Also, is that microscope I mentioned earlier fine?

#22 Offline Roachant - Posted February 10 2017 - 10:11 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
I have one of those hand held microscopes too. It's a great little toy for the field or just messing around. I use mine for looking at the microfauna in my marine tank. It's not very comfortable to view ants in their nest, it it's ok for individual ants. For 8$ I recommend getting one. 8$ doesn't get you much these days anyway.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 10 2017 - 1:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have one of those hand held microscopes too. It's a great little toy for the field or just messing around. I use mine for looking at the microfauna in my marine tank. It's not very comfortable to view ants in their nest, it it's ok for individual ants. For 8$ I recommend getting one. 8$ doesn't get you much these days anyway.

I would take a Wendy's Asiago Ranch Chicken Club Sandwich over that thing any day.

• gcsnelling and CrazyLegs like this

#24 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 10 2017 - 1:53 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Hahaha, for the sake of not arguing, I take it all back. Obviously an $8 microscope is going to be a far sight worse than a $300 item. It's going to have drawbacks. If you want a microscope for more than just counting segments on antennae go with something better. By the way that sandwich sounds incredible, and for $8. Did I mention that everyone in Australia gets ripped off. You will pay $18 for a hamburger here. Now I'm sad.... :D

#25 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 10 2017 - 2:17 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

By the way that sandwich sounds incredible, and for $8. Did I mention that everyone in Australia gets ripped off. You will pay $18 for a hamburger here. Now I'm sad.... :D

Mayhaps you're exaggerating with the $18 hamburger? Certainly that's not the norm at a fast food restaurant like Wendy's or McDonald's.

When the USD/AUD currency conversion and minimum wage are taken into account, Australians enjoy far greater spending power on food and housing than Americans. The minimum wage in the US is equal to about $9.75 AUD per hour, and an $8 USD meal is equal to $10.45 AUD. Nowhere in Australia does a sandwich at a fast food restaurant cost an hour of labor at your $17.70 AUD/hr minimum wage.

Not to mention, the average American household spends several hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month for healthcare and prescription medications, while your government bears nearly the full cost for your own citizens.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 10 2017 - 2:24 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#26 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 10 2017 - 2:49 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

By the way that sandwich sounds incredible, and for $8. Did I mention that everyone in Australia gets ripped off. You will pay $18 for a hamburger here. Now I'm sad.... :D

Mayhaps you're exaggerating with the $18 hamburger? Certainly that's not the norm at a fast food restaurant like Wendy's or McDonald's.

When the USD/AUD currency conversion and minimum wage are taken into account, Australians enjoy far greater spending power on food and housing than Americans. The minimum wage in the US is equal to about $9.75 AUD per hour, and an $8 USD meal is equal to $10.45 AUD. Nowhere in Australia does a sandwich at a fast food restaurant cost an hour of labor at your $17.70 AUD/hr minimum wage.

Not to mention, the average American household spends several hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month for healthcare and prescription medications, while your government bears nearly the full cost for your own citizens.

Wow, Miller, your an argumentative sort. :) I wasn't referring to those plastic corporate burgers. Which the google figures are waaay off. Maybe I live on a different planet where the ants are bigger and the burgers are more expensive. If your ever in Noosa one day, we can share half a burger each for $9 each.

#27 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 10 2017 - 2:58 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

This went from microscopes for ants to cheeseburger prices.   :lol:

• Martialis and CrazyLegs like this

#28 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 10 2017 - 3:58 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Hmmmm In N Out burger.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 10 2017 - 5:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hahaha, for the sake of not arguing, I take it all back. Obviously an $8 microscope is going to be a far sight worse than a $300 item. It's going to have drawbacks. If you want a microscope for more than just counting segments on antennae go with something better. By the way that sandwich sounds incredible, and for $8. Did I mention that everyone in Australia gets ripped off. You will pay $18 for a hamburger here. Now I'm sad.... :D

$8 actually gets you the whole combo meal. B)

This went from microscopes for ants to cheeseburger prices.   :lol:

Sorry, that was my fault. :lol:

#30 Offline Kevin - Posted February 10 2017 - 6:47 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I spent  $400 on my microscope and it is still one of my favorite investments. I don't only use it for ID'ing ants, I use it for all sorts of stuff. It's a great tool to have. I've used it about five times to pull microscopic splinters and metal shavings from my fingers. The ones you normally just have to put up with for a few days until it finally goes away.

Would have been useful when I exploded a transformer into a LiPo bag and stuck my hand into it to retrieve the burn up transformer. That doesn't feel very nice haha.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#31 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 18 2017 - 4:05 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I spent  $400 on my microscope and it is still one of my favorite investments. I don't only use it for ID'ing ants, I use it for all sorts of stuff. It's a great tool to have. I've used it about five times to pull microscopic splinters and metal shavings from my fingers. The ones you normally just have to put up with for a few days until it finally goes away.

Drew, do you mind sharing what microscope you use for ants?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identifying, microscope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users