• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which ant would win in a battle?

battle ant random

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Ant would Win? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Ant would Win

1. Yellow Crazy Ants (6 workers) (7 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. Trap jaw Ants (2 workers) (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Dorylus Ants (1 queen, 2 majors, 1 minor) (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

4. Pachycondyla Ants (1 queen) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Bullet Ant (1 worker) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Atta Leafcutter Ants (1 soldier) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Bull ant (2 callow workers) (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

8. Monomorium Ants (4 workers) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 11:24 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

5 yellow crazy ants; strength in numbers and acid spray.

I agree
Please list a reason. I don't get how just 5 workers can take down the Odantomachus or Atta.

YJK

#22 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 1:31 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

first off. Atta majors are extremely good at taking down other ants and so are Camponotus majors. also, Odontomachus aren't as good fighters as you make them out to be, AA. Driver ants are blind and rely on other members of their colony to navigate so I think they wouldn't win against too much. Neivamyrmex seems like a good choice at first but they are both tiny and 1 of them isn't going to do much. Army ants all use strength in numbers to overwhelm their prey. 

• Martialis likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#23 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 2:47 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

first off. Atta majors are extremely good at taking down other ants and so are Camponotus majors. also, Odontomachus aren't as good fighters as you make them out to be, AA. Driver ants are blind and rely on other members of their colony to navigate so I think they wouldn't win against too much. Neivamyrmex seems like a good choice at first but they are both tiny and 1 of them isn't going to do much. Army ants all use strength in numbers to overwhelm their prey.

I agree with the most part except for that Odantomachus aren't strong fighters. I disagree with that. I've personally experienced the sting and bite of one, and see them hunting prey. The bite cut through my skin and the sting hurt like ****. When hunting prey, I see them sneaking up and then just snapping their jaws over it and stinging it finally. I have thrown mealworms near their nests to see this. (Quite fascinating) I'll probably shoot a video of this once I go back to Orang Beach.

YJK

#24 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 2:54 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Yellow crazy ants aren't super invasive for no reason; they can outcompete and kill other ants.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#25 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 4:03 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Yellow crazy ants aren't super invasive for no reason; they can outcompete and kill other ants.

Then what features make them super invasive? If u want people on your side of an argument, u must support it with facts. Yellow Crazy Ants are invasive for making sipercolonies and MASSIVE colonies. This is only 5 WORKERS

YJK

#26 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 6:11 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Against invertebrates, a painful sting and a potent sting are different. Same with most forms of venom injection. A Phiddipus audax bite barely hurts but can kill a wolf spider many times it's size within seconds. Something that activates nociceptors only really works if the target uses those nociceptors as important sources of info. Formic acid spray takes more time but is effective because there is a longer range.

• LC3 likes this

#27 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 4 2017 - 7:01 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

WOW! This topic has launched since I started it!

I would say that the Yellow Crazy ants would win because of their numbers, agility, and acid spray. Odontomachus have to aim before delivering the killing blow, thus making it hard to catch the rapidly darting YCA. The Dorylus, being blind, may have a slightly more difficult time (the pheromones from the 5 crazy ants may confuse the workers), and the Atta are slow and cannot catch up to one of the workers. 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#28 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 4 2017 - 9:03 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Odantomachus stings are quite potent if you didn't already know that. Like you said Formic acid does take up more time, while that time is going on, Odantomachus/Atta/Dorylus could get a bite, sting in to kill a YCA instantly. Like Hawaiiant said, YCAs are fast. They would run around spraying formic acid everywhere. Although Odantomachus has to aim, all they need to do is get ONE bite in and its over. Also there is 3 or 2 (i can't remember XP) Odantomachus workers and 3-2 workers snapping will evantually connect maiming the YCA. It is good to note that Odantomachus are also very fast and have abilities like jumping. (When they snap their jaws they essentially fling themselves and they use that as an escape method, thus enabling them to escape then fight again. Now we have the Atta. The Atta majors are powerful but sluggish. Just one CHOMP and boom YCA is dead meat. Also it is good to note that Atta majors are trained to maim and kill other enemies to protect the nest. Their heads are huge and combined with an amazing bite power that will make any YCA useless. Last but not least are the Dorylus. I think that the YCA should be able to defeat the Dorylus due to them being tied to the colony (*Source BatSpiderFish*) But they won't give up with a fight. Dorylus will be able to detect YCA by using their "super senses" and can get bites in. So what do you think?

YJK

#29 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 4 2017 - 9:25 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I've realized that only a certain few ants are winning in this poll, so I'm going to edit the results.

Edited by Hawaiiant, January 4 2017 - 9:36 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#30 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 4 2017 - 9:35 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Due to the many votes, I changed the poll to only have the winning votes and some new choices too. Sorry, but the old votes got deleted.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#31 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 6:35 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Due to the many votes, I changed the poll to only have the winning votes and some new choices too. Sorry, but the old votes got deleted.

I would like u to quit changing the polls. It might just be me, but whenever u change a poll then new ants show up then u have to rethink everything.

Edited by Alabama Anter, January 5 2017 - 6:36 AM.

YJK

#32 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 6:39 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
I think that the Dorylus would win. Stronger together as a colony essentially binding them into a "better super organism". The queen could essentially pop some eggs (she would have to fight too) The Dorylus could easily (with that number) kill YCA.

YJK

#33 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:08 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I think that the Dorylus would win. Stronger together as a colony essentially binding them into a "better super organism". The queen could essentially pop some eggs (she would have to fight too) The Dorylus could easily (with that number) kill YCA.

Dorylus are blind and only have strength in numbers. I'm not sure what a queen laying eggs would do either. Yellow Crazy Ants have fast movement, formic acid, EYES and are generally good at fighting other ants. You don't hear about Dorylus or Odontomachus being invasive for a reason. They lack the ability to kill the native ants and take their place. Yellow Crazy Ants easily do this.

• LC3 and AnthonyP163 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#34 Offline Serafine - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:15 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Dorylus aren't invasive because they aren't hitchhikers. I'm pretty sure they can do very well in a lot of places but they will never get there because they don't travel around with human vehicles. Same for a lot of other species.

Edited by Serafine, January 5 2017 - 7:15 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#35 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:19 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Dorylus aren't invasive because they aren't hitchhikers. I'm pretty sure they can do very well in a lot of places but they will never get there because they don't travel around with human vehicles. Same for a lot of other species.

I would imagine that at least 1 colony has been transported by humans at some point in time. In general, we seem to be pretty careless about where we ship what as long as we get $$$$.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#36 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:44 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Dorylus are blind making other senses acute. (I believe correct me if I'm wrong) the only ants that have great eye sight are the "primitive" ants. Bull, Jack Jumpers, Twig Ants, Trap Jaw Ants, Bullet Ants so YCA shouldn't have that much of an advantage via senses.

YJK

#37 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 9:14 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I agree on dorylus with AA. Driver ants may as well have been invasive if they didn't reproduce so damn slowly. If driver ants ants produced the same amount of queens as YCA AND were polygyne, they would be much more of a driving force in the world (fun intended)

#38 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 9:21 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I agree on dorylus with AA. Driver ants may as well have been invasive if they didn't reproduce so damn slowly. If driver ants ants produced the same amount of queens as YCA AND were polygyne, they would be much more of a driving force in the world (fun intended)

How could u CA! I hate puns XD

YJK

#39 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 5 2017 - 9:23 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

I'm a little confused though when I'm trying to play this out in my head. Would we be putting these ants in an arena all together? What do you mean by "win"? What kind of battle are we having? I'm so confused.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#40 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 9:32 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I'm a little confused though when I'm trying to play this out in my head. Would we be putting these ants in an arena all together? What do you mean by "win"? What kind of battle are we having? I'm so confused.

In my mind it's a pool. 1v1 until every possible combination has finished

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battle, ant, random

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users