• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Possible method for queen introduction?

queen bee introduction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 1 2016 - 4:00 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Warning: This post is involves to bees but is related to ants, I promise!

I was doing my usual internet thing when I came across a video on introducing queen bee's to queenless colonies. The guy in the video uses a small box with one side open and mesh covering it. This container was to allow for the worker's to familiarize themselves with the queen and for the bee keeper to be able to judge the workers reactions to the queen. I was wondering if something similar (obviously with smaller mesh) could be used to gauge if ants would accept a new queen into their colony, in the cases of polygynous or parasitic species. Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7YTFV7B0b6k

I am interested in your opinions and experiences!

• ctantkeeper likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 1 2016 - 5:03 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
It won't work too well for ants that spray acid.

Also, colony-scent association is at least partially learned (within the first few days after eclosing), and parasitic queens have evolved overriding ones that most species do not possess.

Your best bet would be to get a degree in chemical engineering, isolate those overriding pheromones that parasitic species (or non-ant symbionts) use to infiltrate a colony, determine if there is a pattern to how they work by comparing multiple species, and then synthesizing an analog that may be applied to the queen you wish to introduce in order to recreate the effect.
  • CallMeCraven likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 1 2016 - 5:15 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

It won't work too well for ants that spray acid.

Also, colony-scent association is at least partially learned (within the first few days after eclosing), and parasitic queens have evolved overriding ones that most species do not possess.

Your best bet would be to get a degree in chemical engineering, isolate those overriding pheromones that parasitic species (or non-ant symbionts) use to infiltrate a colony, determine if there is a pattern to how they work by comparing multiple species, and then synthesizing an analog that may be applied to the queen you wish to introduce in order to recreate the effect.

Ah yes i forgot about those tricky acid sprayers... and the degree sounds like a worthwhile cause but i don't know how much you could make from that. Maybe if you could weaponize it and introduce economically devastating species, the military will pay for your research :D.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 2 2016 - 5:11 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Bees have different social rules than ants do, but I recognize the importance of bringing up any and all possibilities. :)

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 2 2016 - 5:13 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted December 2 2016 - 6:00 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Works for some ants who have multiqueen hives in the wild (Formica fusca/red wood ants, Solenopsis fugax/yellow thief ants, Paratrechina longicornis/black crazy ants, certain Messor species), doesn't work for others.

Even if a monogynous colony accepted the new queen (which is unlikely) it would disturb the colony to such a degree that sooner or later the workers would decide to kill one of the competing queens.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 2 2016 - 8:21 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Even if a monogynous colony accepted the new queen (which is unlikely) it would disturb the colony to such a degree that sooner or later the workers would decide to kill one of the competing queens.

in the cases of polygynous or parasitic species. 

I would only think about trying this as a way of introducing a queen to species that can accept multiple queens. As Dr pointed out, there are a lot of other complications of this method. I definitely like the concept tho :D. I wish I had available queens of polygynous/parasitic species to give this a shot. 

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#7 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 2 2016 - 9:49 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I had collected 2 colony's of Pheidole except for one of there temporary holding bins I used baby powder as a barrier and we'll all the ants BUT the queen escaped so I introduced her to the other colony who swarmed her, I thought they were attacking her but they were aculally cleaning her and she's been living fine with the other queen for a month and a half now

#8 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 2 2016 - 10:26 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I had collected 2 colony's of Pheidole except for one of there temporary holding bins I used baby powder as a barrier and we'll all the ants BUT the queen escaped so I introduced her to the other colony who swarmed her, I thought they were attacking her but they were aculally cleaning her and she's been living fine with the other queen for a month and a half now

That must be scary. When I saw the AntsCanada video where Mickey combined two colonies, I thought for sure the queen that was getting swarmed was dead meat. Crazy ants and their crazy pheromones.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#9 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted December 15 2016 - 8:44 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

well if you have a queen and chill her with younger workers you can do it. also seperating them with a mesh screen could help aswell. but i feel its random chance. a guy on the AC FB page combined Camponotus with another species and they've lived together for months without issue

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#10 Online Canadian anter - Posted December 16 2016 - 4:34 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I had a Lasius claviger queen build herself a chamber near a Lasius alienus nest

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#11 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 30 2022 - 12:45 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
I am thinking of a variant on this method to introduce a new queen to my queenless Lasius colony (yes the one from last year, she fell out the tube during an accident). Thinking of a tube separated by some flims of cotton so it takes time for the colony to find her. Does any one have relevant knowledge?

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2022 - 9:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I am thinking of a variant on this method to introduce a new queen to my queenless Lasius colony (yes the one from last year, she fell out the tube during an accident). Thinking of a tube separated by some flims of cotton so it takes time for the colony to find her. Does any one have relevant knowledge?

If the workers actually have to find her it won’t work for that reason, since besides being learned colonies maintain their pheromones via trophallaxis and grooming. Having no interaction with the queen would do quite the opposite, and ensure their pheromones will be different. The only way this would work is by random chance as preciously mentioned. In that case, why not just throw them together right away and hope for the best? Also food for thought there has been limited documentation of colonies of polygynous or secondarily polygynous species accepting their own alates after they returned from their nuptial flight, since their pheromones would still match their parent colony at that point. Besides social parasitism that is the only natural way I’m aware of for queens to be accepted into mature colonies. Personally I am against even trying introductions unless the colony’s queen died or you have an excess of queens, due to the obvious safety hazard imposed onto the queens.
  • mantisgal and FloridaAnts like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 31 2022 - 11:42 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
Thanks for the info. They keep checking the queen's old chamber to see if she reincarnated so maybe putting her in there for them to find will help?

I'll let you know what happens!

Edited by mantisgal, July 31 2022 - 11:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, bee, introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users