• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ByFormica Sunburst

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted November 25 2016 - 6:15 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

So recently Terry hosted a giveaway for people that showed a "I voted" sticker for the election. I happened to be one that received a gift, and I got some Sunburst Ant Nectar.

Let's just say, within the first 5 minutes, I already love it. Today, I found 2 Camponotus chromaiodes colonies in a dead log. I fed the nectar to both colonies, and they were instantly attracted. In less than 5 minutes, a 5 worker colony drank an entire drop of it, with some help of the queen. I could see the worker's gasters change from a dull black, and expand with lines of yellow nectar forming. I could start to see them sharing the nectar, and I can tell they like it.

I think I'll have to go grab it out of the fridge and feed some more, they seem to really like it. 

I will post pictures tomorrow, it's a bit late here.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 25 2016 - 6:49 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I think I put on the labels that refrigeration is required, but it's really not. I'm probably going to remove that verbiage from the labels eventually.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted November 25 2016 - 6:57 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Alright, but I'm guessing it does have a slight "performance" raise while cool? I'm guessing the ants like it cold... maybe not. It also says to only feed what can be used in 1-2 hours, so I assumed that meant it would spoil in the warmth, but I'm guessing the sodium benzoate would keep it fresh?

Edited by Kevin, November 25 2016 - 6:58 PM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 25 2016 - 7:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No, the refrigeration requirement was added to slow the theoretical growth of microorganisms, should the product become contaminated.  February 2016, I implemented a new test & hold quality-control protocol, so bottles are virtually guaranteed free from any type of contamination, and thus you should not have any problems with anything growing in them.  As long as you don't add pond water or spit to the bottle, it should be just fine at room temperature and will not spoil.

The product is precisely formulated with the optimal balance of sugars, salts, and water to be very tasty to most species of ants.  If the product is left exposed to air, evaporation will affect this golden ratio, and receptivity to the product may decrease. Also if ants have constant, unrestricted access to the food, they will appear to drink less as time goes on.  The easiest way to observe vigorous feeding is to restrict access to a couple hours every few days, and so that is why the label says this.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 25 2016 - 7:24 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 25 2016 - 7:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I always put liquid foods in the fridge if possible. Doesn't hurt to greatly slow down the growth of anything should it happen.

#6 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 25 2016 - 9:24 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Yeah, I also got sunburst ant nectar, and it is great so far! Feeding my Myrmecocystus colony all the way :)

:>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users